New way to do Hummas... Best ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zippy12

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 6, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
https://jenniferguerrero.com/2017/1...he-worlds-most-lickable-hummus-and-tabbouleh/

I soak the small chick peas in water and baking soda over night ... no salt

then I peel the skins off after boiling

20180909_174137.jpg

The grinding for 3 min is absolutly needed
20180909_180016.jpg

Added the cumin and paprika and salt and whirl
20180909_180623.jpg

Super light and creamy!
I could eat this all day long!

WOW

Z zippy12 that sounds and looks awesome! I need to try making it like that with just the baking soda.

Squeezing those little dudes out of their skins is about a pain. Man I wish there was an easier way.

Sonny

A common issue is that when the beans are soaked in water the environment is too acidic for their cellulose-based cells. Baking soda, a leavener, swoops in to save the day by raising the pH levels of the water, making the chickpeas more soluble and thus able to cook more quickly

Zippy I have never tried Hummas ! I have cooked dry beans using baking soda,they cook up real fast no pre-soak needed.
Richie

Nice Hummus, looks real creamy. Used to make my own quite a bit but gotten lazy and buy it nowadays.

I’ll bring the chips!

Sonny

A common issue is that when the beans are soaked in water the environment is too acidic for their cellulose-based cells. Baking soda, a leavener, swoops in to save the day by raising the pH levels of the water, making the chickpeas more soluble and thus able to cook more quickly

Thanks Zippy!
I did make some Humus a while back, but I used canned chickpeas.
How difficult is the pealing process?
IIRC, the only thing I've pealed was blanched tomatoes, and those were really easy when blanched. But 'mators are a bit larger than peas..

The peeling does take some time, but the recipe does not mention it. I feel it makes the hummus real creamy... so try it both ways.

Ditch the canned chick peas. Get small dried CP's.

Reactions: SonnyE
Some very nice looking hummus, Zippy. Like!

The recipe I've used for hummus for many years is very similar to the one you used and I have no problem with the skins or a need for peeling. Comparing the two recipes there's only one significant difference I see and that's during the cooking stage. In step 2 of the recipe you used, it says to bring the water and baking soda to a boil, add the chickpeas, then reduce to simmer for 40-50 minutes. In the recipe I use, the chickpeas, after they've been soaked overnight and drained, are added to a dry sauce pan, along with the baking soda, and cooked over high heat for 3 minutes while being constantly stirred. Then, water is added, brought to a boil where it remains, and the chickpeas are cooked for 10-20 minutes, depending upon the size and age of the chickpeas. When this stage is finished, the chickpeas are very soft and tender, but not mushy.

During the cooking, the skins float to the surface and I just skim them off with a fine mesh strainer. What residual skins that remain attached, if any, come off easily when I drain and rinse the chick peas.

The peeling does take some time, but the recipe does not mention it. I feel it makes the hummus real creamy... so try it both ways.

Ditch the canned chick peas. Get small dried CP's.

The recipe looks easy.
I wonder, ever considered lightly smoking the dry chickpeas before starting?
(Just to try giving some a little Ta-Wang...)
Probably wash off... I'd guess.

Reactions: zippy12
Actually when I make mine I chop the dried garbanzos in the coffee grinder first, not powder but like course sugar. Then into my pressure cooker with fresh garlic and badura. Makes the processing easier.

Reactions: zippy12
Try using an instant pot or pressure cooker to cook the garbonzos. No need to soak overnight. Put beans in Instant pot, add some garlic and onion, set timer for 35 min. Let pot do natural release.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky