New Year's Day Eats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
Did up my usual southern tradition NYD food. Black eyed peas for good luck, pork for health, and greens for prosperity.

Black eyed peas made with smoked sausage, ham, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. The peas were dry. No need to soak.

Simmer the meats, onion, and garlic.

IMG_1385.JPG

Add the water and peas, boil, and simmer until thick and creamy. At least 4 hours. I did about 6 or so. Refrigerated overnight and reheated and simmered this morning.

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

My greens is green cabbage. I simmer some bacon, onion, and garlic. Then, add the cabbage and sliced new potatoes. Season up with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer uncovered on high heat, then cover and simmer on low about an hour. Of course, the longer it simmers and sits, the better.

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

And the finished product...

IMG_1395.JPG

All very tasty. Happy New Year!

After the year(s) we’ve had of late, I figure we need all the luck we can get, so …
Canadian bacon omelet early, pork ribs on now, pulled pork in baked beans with black-eye peas, leafy greens(kale/spinach sautéed with bacon/onion/garlic), unbroken noodles (butter/garlic/Parmesan fettuccine), and cornbread.
Hoping there aren’t quadruplets.
11DC6798-7F6D-4931-B9B2-EADCD0F6C3AC.jpeg

Being just a tad too far north to know anything about traditional NYD food for luck, health, and prosperity, I simply lucked out. :emoji_hushed::emoji_scream: We're having pork tenderloin, green cabbage, and (sigh) no, not black eyed peas, but jasmin rice. Oh well, as the song says "two out of three ain't bad". :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
God knows that at my age I need the health and, after the last couple of years, prosperity would be a pleasant change. Good luck will just have to wait til 2024. :emoji_confounded:
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky