Three - 8 - Three, Smoked Potato Balls " Cuban Papas Rellenas "

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Three - 8 - Three, Smoked Potato Balls " Cuban Papas Rellenas "

Well this is kind of a thank you to every one who voted and made me a member of the OTBS #383 ( Three 8 Three )

MIL was here for the weekend , so I came up with this , I wanted to make an other potato style meal and saw Cuban papas Rellenas
and as I have done this style of potato with just gravy inside . This was something I had to do also.

It calls for Cuban Picadillo ( new to me ) but fantastic sounding and tasted real good.

So here it goes : sorry this will be long, because that is me.

Boiled and mashed the potatoes, just a little milk salt and pepper, and add some flour , you want the mashed smooth but not runny. Has to be able to form and stay while cooking.
I pulled a pound of ground pork from the freezer, ( only because I cant read thought I was grabbing beef. All good I love both ).
Into the smoker on Black cherry chunks, while that is cooking/smoking I gathered the items to make the Picadillo
1.JPG 2.JPG
3.JPG 4.JPG

Cook all the veg in the CI , onions first , celery, Gr. peppers, fresh tomatoes , raisins ( yes raisins ) chopped almonds
than the spices, garlic, cumin, Cocoa powder, salt,
I did not add green olives because I hate them. 4 - 6 table spoon chili sauce, tablespoon vinegar

5.JPG 6.JPG

add the crumbled up smoked pork, hard to stop eating the pork, lol

7.JPG

Set aside and let cool, with the mashed spuds

Get out my trusty ice-cream scooper and scoop up the balls. Form into small pancakes in your hand , add a spoonful of Picadillo in to the center and fold up the potato to seal and form a ball. In separate bowls 1 )- 3 eggs and a little water whisked, 1 )- bread crumbs little flour and paprika.
Take each potato, egg first than coating mix . Place on tray and into freezer for 20 minutes or so, while the smoker comes to temp, and helps the potato to stay set while in the smoker

8.JPG 9.JPG

DSC_6473.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

Smoker set at 350 Deg. Papas Rellenas in and getting heated and crunchy.

13.JPG 14.JPG

They are ready after about 70 minutes. Brought into the house and plated up the meal

15.JPG

Boiled up some white rice with a little green onion, small bowl of mild salsa , dish of Soya Sauce and 3 potato balls each

Mona her Mom and I = Three 8 Three

17.JPG

20.JPG

these are very good and can be just eaten with your hands also, some people like them as walking food from street shops so I read. and I can see why

22 - Copy.JPG

Thanks for looking and maybe making it to the end.

Thanks everyone for the nominations and hope you enjoyed this new to me take on my potato balls

Cuban Papas Rellenas, filled with Cuban Picadillo

David

Edit: sorry everyone I forgot to say I lightly sprayed cooking oil over the potato balls before going into the smoker, to almost be like deep fried , almost

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 4
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Now those are right up my alley!
They look like yummy finger food to me. :emoji_yum:

Thanks John for the like and the comment

They were/are real good, I did not really get a lot of cherry flavour on the potato balls but the pork picked it up , so at least it was smoke flavour inside also

And yes they are walk around food for sure, nice crunch and loved the picadillo filling.

David

Reactions: chilerelleno
Those look awesome David! Love your potato creations!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the love and the comment

I know you do and I have 1 more coming this week before we take off the week after for a nice time away.

This was a great change of flavours as not a lot of Cuban restaurants around here .lol

David

Thanks Ryan for the love and the comment

I know you do and I have 1 more coming this week before we take off the week after for a nice time away.

This was a great change of flavours as not a lot of Cuban restaurants around here .lol

David
Did I mention I'm a good luggage carrier and drink getter? I'll bring my own taters! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Yum!
I've had them at a well-known Cuban restaurant in Tampa. They make them in small and large sizes.
If your next meal is Devil Crab, wife and I need to make a road trip to Tampa. She loves going to the Tampa Zoo.

David
In a couple weeks you'll have a lot of choices for Cuban and Puerto Rican food.
Walmart sells both Cuban and Puerto Rican bread.

Did I mention I'm a good luggage carrier and drink getter? I'll bring my own taters! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Got ya beat. I still have spuds we brought south for the winter. Reds are pretty much dead, but the purple and Kennebeck are still useable.

Ryan

Well Ryan that would help, because Mona's sister that normally winters in Florida ( but could not as her husband can't leave yet )
says she is in one of the big suitcases, lol . Always need a help bringing back the umbrella drinks to the hot tub :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses: 🤠

David

Yum!
I've had them at a well-known Cuban restaurant in Tampa. They make them in small and large sizes.
If your next meal is Devil Crab, wife and I need to make a road trip to Tampa. She loves going to the Tampa Zoo.

Thanks John for the like and the comments

I can't wait to try more things on this trip as we have not been away since I joined SMF,
so looking forward to new flavours and ideas , And some real good meals.
Mona would like the Deviled Crab , me , not so much. But I do cook her things that I would not eat, Lobster , mussels , clams etc 🤮🤮 lol

In a couple weeks you'll have a lot of choices for Cuban and Puerto Rican food.
Walmart sells both Cuban and Puerto Rican bread.

Yes looking forward to this , and our hotel is like an apartment, has a kitchen in it so, will be bringing back some foods to the room , and a Walmart 8 minutes up the road. 8 more days but who is counting.....ME

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky