New to Forum - Grand Rapids, Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefrog

Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
I smoke using either the Masterbuilt Digital Smoker, Little Chief Electric Smoker, Or the Gas Grill. I like the Materbuilt overall since I can pretty much smoke in the middle of winter and "set and forget". Although I have to refill the chips once in a while.

Reactions: SonnyE
Hi Smokefrog!
I use a MES 30, and a gas grill.
I've had to modify the peadoodly out of my MES to make it smoke my way. But got it there and really happy with what I make.

Welcome to
small-logo.png

From California!

Thanks Scholts.... but I don't think I'm spending any more $$ on another smoker. And am fine with feeding the MES. I only feed it once or twice anyway bc I do not want the meat "ever=smoked".

Welcome to the forums.

I host an annual fattie contest every year. Next year will be our 7th contest. I’m not to far from you. You should consider coming out next year and checking it out or entering. We have well over 100 people attend yearly and around 30 fatties entered.

Scott

My only complaint about the MES is the digital meat probe. Its stuck at 315F. Unfixable unless I change it but I think Ill just use my instant digital probe.

Thanks Scholts.... but I don't think I'm spending any more $$ on another smoker. And am fine with feeding the MES. I only feed it once or twice anyway bc I do not want the meat "ever=smoked".

The AMPS is NOT another smoker, it's a $30 mesh tray that holds pellets which you use in the MES, INSTEAD of continually loading chips. Your choice on how much load. Fully loaded it can last 11 hours. See the link.

Different units make for different locations but the ideal is to have it near the air intake (I take the chip drawer out to allow for more air flow). I have that exact tray and a tube from these guys, take a look at their site sometime...https://www.amazenproducts.com/Default.asp
That Home Depot price is the lowest I’ve seen these units.

Sorry but I do't get it. Where exactly does the tray go in the MES? How do the pellets drop to the heater tray? And how do those tubes work?

Sorry you aren't grasping the concept of using pellets for smoke generation instead of wood chips. You manually fill the tray with pellets, light the pellets with a torch wait 10 minutes, blow the flame out and the pellets should be smoking quite nicely, place the tray on the lower shelf of the MES and pull out the chip inserter approximately 3 inches to allow for more air flow to keep the pellets going. Also keep the top vent on the MES wide open. This should allow the MES to smoke for up to 11 hours without attending it.

Drippings go into pan as always but try to put the pellets under the water pan to oeep them from getting put out, yo may have to use some aluminum foil to make a loose lid to keep them dry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky