New RecTec Stampede Owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought I would start with what Rec tec had on their page about St. Louis style ribs. Never seen any cooked at 250° but thought they must know. I was looking for a nice pull not fall off. I planed on 6 hrs total but the traffic got them. So I thought better in foil than open at 250 °. They loved them and they were good but they don't know any better. Rubbed them with some Buffalo wings rub that my daughter got when she worked there and Dillo Dust from LaRue tactical when you buy a gun from Mark LaRue he sends a 4 oz . It's by far my favorite rub more sweet than salty. Just a fun day here got to 67° and that was welcome . Cheers Bill

@ SloQ - Based on my most recent experience, I’d say you’re right on the money there.
Looks like I’ll be cookin by feel on my ribs and my briskets.
@ Bill - Those rib look good, glad everyone was happy with em all things considered.

I'm NOT an expert at this by anyone's gauge, but have done 1 baby back and 1 St Louis rack. Both were done 3-2-1 with a wrap in the 2. The baby back meat FELL off the bone and was superb. The St Louis meat pulled off the bone with very little effort and was also superb. The 3-2-1 seems to work just fine for me on either style of rack. But two racks total in my life does not an expert make. :emoji_blush:

I just picked up a Stampede and I joined this forum on your post alone. I had to say what a great looking wood shelf. I am looking forward to add it to my Stampede when it arrives. Appreciate the photos and the links to parts!

Reactions: Chris Ahlheim
I just picked up a Stampede and I joined this forum on your post alone. I had to say what a great looking wood shelf. I am looking forward to add it to my Stampede when it arrives. Appreciate the photos and the links to parts!
Congrats on the new rig, happy to be of service!

A quick note on the brackets I used. The listing claimed stainless steel construction but painted black. Since I wanted them to match the legs of the grill and not stand out so much, this is the pair I chose. In reality, they most certainly are not stainless and the company confirmed this as well. I think they will hold up alright since I plan to cover it the vast majority of the time, but ultimately I’m a bit disappointed that they aren’t true stainless steel. There are lots of real stainless versions out there on amazon for the same price. If you don’t care about matching the legs of the grill, they may be a better choice for longevity.

Last edited:
Reactions: mess

Congrats. It would have been difficult to have made a better choice.

Reactions: mess
thumbnail_IMG_4258.jpg
Pulled pork for dinner. Started an 8lbs. butt at 10:00 pm and 12 hrs. in it's at 170°and it's rising fast after a 3 hr. stall . We have to leave for church and I'm nervous it's going to hit 205° while were gone . I turned it to 200° and off we went . Get home and it dropped to 164° WTH., should have never quit the game plan. wrapped and bumped up the temp to 260° . 17.5 hrs. pulled let sit for 1 hr. and it was fantastic. Yellow mustard , salt, pepper and Dillow Dust rub. Chris I used your hardware link and idea, Until Rec-tec comes out with a shelf this will have to do. Hope everyone had a blessed Easter. Bill
thumbnail_IMG_4257.jpg

View attachment 393829 Pulled pork for dinner. Started an 8lbs. butt at 10:00 pm and 12 hrs. in it's at 170°and it's rising fast after a 3 hr. stall . We have to leave for church and I'm nervous it's going to hit 205° while were gone . I turned it to 200° and off we went . Get home and it dropped to 164° WTH., should have never quit the game plan. wrapped and bumped up the temp to 260° . 17.5 hrs. pulled let sit for 1 hr. and it was fantastic. Yellow mustard , salt, pepper and Dillow Dust rub. Chris I used your hardware link and idea, Until Rec-tec comes out with a shelf this will have to do. Hope everyone had a blessed Easter. Bill
View attachment 393827
Damn, Bill... that butt is bark’n! Solid shelf you got there too.

Reactions: bill in mn
I'm NOT an expert at this by anyone's gauge, but have done 1 baby back and 1 St Louis rack. Both were done 3-2-1 with a wrap in the 2. The baby back meat FELL off the bone and was superb. The St Louis meat pulled off the bone with very little effort and was also superb. The 3-2-1 seems to work just fine for me on either style of rack. But two racks total in my life does not an expert make. :emoji_blush:

Bob, next time you do BB's try a 4-1-1 cook. I have found leaving them for 4 hrs and then only wrapping for an hour, they come out great with lots of bark and almost fotb. I prefer my ribs to have just a little tug to them, when taking a bite. Fotb is a little over cooked for me but everyone's taste varies. Give them a try this way and see what you think.

Bob, next time you do BB's try a 4-1-1 cook. I have found leaving them for 4 hrs and then only wrapping for an hour, they come out great with lots of bark and almost fotb. I prefer my ribs to have just a little tug to them, when taking a bite. Fotb is a little over cooked for me but everyone's taste varies. Give them a try this way and see what you think.

That's pretty much the way that I do mine and my results are similar to what you are describing for your own

Reactions: retfr8flyr
I have down all my ribs 3-2-1 with great success. 4-1-1 sounds like a nice variation. may need some st Louise ribs this weekend! hankering for the ribs.

Quick update. I went ahead and added the grill grates from Rectec. Solved the only shortcoming that I’ve been able to find, which is the searing and grill marks. Don’t get me wrong, it would leave some grill marks when it was on FUL, but they would be fairly weak.

Real estate in the grill with the grill grates.
C48B6725-9640-4130-8790-0F82F382C8E8.jpeg
1lb Skirt steak.
7D18F384-DD32-4A18-B1D0-9BDE119AA794.jpeg

Rib Round 2.

Three racks, two foiled, one naked.
The foiled racks were cooked for 2.5-1.5-1. The naked rack was smoked for 6 hours @ 225°.
All turned out great, the naked rack was obviously easier and didn’t dry out too much. May just do that from now on.
0E4B9F6A-C533-4AB0-9125-F52CDD1E7CE4.jpeg

Bottom rack is naked, top rack is foiled.
73EA8C68-A192-4AC4-80F6-74FC460A5772.jpeg

Top rack foiled, bottom rack naked. Both cut easily without falling apart.
10DC3047-D21E-4305-8325-1AA6C7B42A7B.jpeg

Thanks for the review Chris. I have a bunch of ribs I'm doing for this weekend. I've had such good luck with 3-2-1 with foil I have never tried no foil. Might just have to try but I have been bragging up my ribs and with company coming makes me nervous to change plans . What kind were they ? I have been doing baby backs lately. Cheers Bill

This place is dangerous, LOL! All you Rec Tec owners converted me, ordered my Stampede last night!
CONGRATS! post some cooks after you get it fired up!

On topic, the way I've been doing my ribs in either the BGE or electric was for BB 3-1-1, and for St Louis 3-2-1 and have had very good luck.
I was the same - till i went no wrap. Give a no wrap cook a rip and see what you think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky