RecTec RT700 or Camp Chef Woodwind Pro 36 w/Sidekick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

274s

Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
I had posted earlier that my pup tore out wiring from my GMG grill. I can fix it, but I think after 7 years its time for something new anyways. So...

I thought I had it narrowed down to getting the CC Woodwind Pro 36 and adding on the griddle sidekick. But I see some posts here and elsewhere recommending Rectec.

Looking just at grate size/space, the RT700 seems close to the WW Pro 36 but the Pro 36 has 2 levels of grates to the RT700's one grate. So, then the RT-1070 looks like a decent option, especially since its more enclosed and protected from my pup, but it's grates are about 6" narrower side to side. Due to a connection for CC, the CC setup with the Sidekick griddle is same cost as the RT-1070.

Any reasons I shouldn't go with the CC? I like the idea of having a small griddle on side.

Last edited:
I don't have either, but I would suggest watching as many Youtube videos on them as you can find.
Don't take everything the reviewers say as gospel, as many are given the items they review.
Just my 2 cents.

I've been doing just that since posting :) Now I'm also considering the Camp Chef XXL Pro Vertical since I only used my GMG for smoking. My buddy can't get the XXL Pro at the discounted price, otherwise I think I'd just get that and call it a day. Now I'll research more.

Last edited:
I have the RT 1250 and use the "CRAP' out of it. It just works!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...et-grill-calling-rec-teq-owners-users.310677/

The 1250 will cook the same as the 700, just a few more bells and whistles. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 1250, 700, or 1070 Cart. If space is limited the 1070 Cart would be the magic button. I do a TON of two shelve cooking so the 1250 and 1070 come setup but RT has standalone shelves (2 sizes) you can get for the 700.

I've never cooked on a Camp Chef but I know many on the forum like theirs.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
My mom has a camp chef. I have the RT-1250. I'm very partial for RT and would recommend the same as civilsmoker to just go with the 1250 over the 700 for the extra options and grill space. Camp Chef makes a good product. I haven't used it extensively but the times I have its been fine. The app for RecTecq works flawlessly but is a little simple.

Maybe someone here can comment on Camp Chef support and customer service...as I've never had to deal with them. Customer support for RecTecq is unsurpassed. Seriously a great grill with great support. Best of luck!!

I really like the idea of the drawer to add wood or charcoal with the CC so I would pick that, both have a great reputation so you won't be sol no matter which 1 you pick imo

I have the RT 1250 and use the "CRAP' out of it. It just works!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...et-grill-calling-rec-teq-owners-users.310677/

The 1250 will cook the same as the 700, just a few more bells and whistles. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 1250, 700, or 1070 Cart. If space is limited the 1070 Cart would be the magic button. I do a TON of two shelve cooking so the 1250 and 1070 come setup but RT has standalone shelves (2 sizes) you can get for the 700.

I've never cooked on a Camp Chef but I know many on the forum like theirs.

My mom has a camp chef. I have the RT-1250. I'm very partial for RT and would recommend the same as civilsmoker to just go with the 1250 over the 700 for the extra options and grill space. Camp Chef makes a good product. I haven't used it extensively but the times I have its been fine. The app for RecTecq works flawlessly but is a little simple.

Maybe someone here can comment on Camp Chef support and customer service...as I've never had to deal with them. Customer support for RecTecq is unsurpassed. Seriously a great grill with great support. Best of luck!!

The RT-1250 is very tempting, but boy is it pricey! My original goal was to stick around the $1k mark including sales tax (just looking at replacing GMG with another GMG). I bumped up a bit to consider the RT-1070 cart or the Woodwind Pro but not sure I want to go much more than that. The RT-1250 comes out much more expensive factoring in our 10.1% sales tax here. For the grill & cover I'm looking at $1770 total cost.

I've also read some comments on RecTec's having rust issues. Being up in the Pacific NW with my smoker out on an uncovered deck just under it's own cover, I'm a bit nervous about it possibly rusting.

I have read that Camp Chef support has been lacking recently. But I also see almost all types of customer support a bit lacking recently :)

The more I've been watching reviews, the idea of the Camp Chef XXL Pro Vertical smoker with its wood chunk tray is getting more appealing. I never used my GMG at any temperature over 275, always just smoking things. Vertical smoker would take up less space on the deck too, making the wife happier as well.

Ok if space and weather is an issue then the 1070 cart all day long. It’s full stainless, if you just wipe it down with some spray away stainless polish once a year it will book new for a long long time. It also has a 6 year bumper to bumper warrantee.

Maybe someone here can comment on Camp Chef support and customer service...as I've never had to deal with them.
I bought my Woodwind in Feb 2019. I called their CS line several times during the first year of use and they answered the call within a few minutes each time I called. A couple months ago, I was having an issue with the newly installed Wi-Fi controller during a pulled pork cook and called their CS line. After being on hold for 10 minutes I opted for a call back instead of wasting more time on hold. I went back to working the issue and finally figured it out an hour later. I finally got a return call from the CC CS folks - 36 HOURS LATER! Thanks for absolutely nothing CC! :emoji_japanese_ogre:

I have had a 1250 for just over 1 year now. Went from a Lang, and WSM/Guru setup. I love the 1250, and I just got the smoke box for it. OK it is more $ than the CC, but I think the quality & CS from Recteq is worth the extra $. Their CS is next to none!
Al

I've been doing just that since posting :) Now I'm also considering the Camp Chef XXL Pro Vertical since I only used my GMG for smoking. My buddy can't get the XXL Pro at the discounted price, otherwise I think I'd just get that and call it a day. Now I'll research more.
That one I can talk a little about. I have the XXL Pro.
It is a vertical smoker, not a grill.
Don't know exactly the hopper capacity (less the 20# I' sure) but I have had to add pellets once when doing a brisket overnight.
I mainly bought it for smoking cheese and making jerky because of the 6 shelf capacity.
But have done multiple briskets, pork shoulders, a turkey or two in it, and some sausages I have made.
It is thin wall, and leaks smoke all around the door, but for the price you can't expect a double wall insulated unit.
It has a pellet dump which is nice if want to change pellet types.
Ash pot can be emptied from outside. A nice feature.
Pull a rod on the right, opens a door and ashes drop into cup.
One thing I found the hard way, if you don't bang the rod hard a few times when you pull it out a few times not all ashes will drop.
Happened once and in the middle of another cook flame went out and could not get it going again.
After I found what it was, remedied the situation, all was good again.
So now I bang it hard when pulling out rod (that almost sounds dirty), and examine the cup to see if it looks like an appropriate amount of ash for the length of the cook.

Controller did have some temp swings. Whether the new ones are better, I don't know.
I ended up replacing the controller with a Savanah Stoker.
I like it a lot. It has a fan only mode which is great when smoking cheese.
Didn't know anything about what controllers were out there and I knew the guy that makes the Savanna Stokers.
Not personally though, we were just on the same forum together for a few years.
The Savannah Stoker has some temp swings, but not as bad.
I don't think you can get away from that in a thin wall smoker.
Tried to be honest with all of that, hope it helps.

Last edited:
It does seem like RecTec has the lead in terms of support, and likely in build quality as well. I had found a video last night comparing ~8 smokers and it included RecTec and Camp Chef, though not the specific models I'm considering. In that video, i was very surprised to find that RecTec does not have a pellet drop method.

Maybe it just me, but I use different pellets for brisket (100% oak) vs pork shoulder (100% hickory) vs chicken (oak/hickory). Do RecTec owners just use a single pellet most of the time? Or do people keep a separate mini-shop vac around for ease of emptying pellets?

That one I can talk a little about. I have the XXL Pro.
It is a vertical smoker, not a grill.
Don't know exactly the hopper capacity (less the 20# I' sure) but I have had to add pellets once when doing a brisket overnight.
I mainly bought it for smoking cheese and making jerky because of the 6 shelf capacity.
But have done multiple briskets, pork shoulders, a turkey or two in it, and some sausages I have made.
It is thin wall, and leaks smoke all around the door, but for the price you can't expect a double wall insulated unit.
It has a pellet dump which is nice if want to change pellet types.
Ash pot can be emptied from outside. A nice feature.
Pull a rod on the right, opens a door and ashes drop into cup.
One thing I found the hard way, if you don't bang the rod hard a few times when you pull it out a few times not all ashes will drop.
Happened once and in the middle of another cook flame went out and could not get it going again.
After I found what it was, remedied the situation, all was good again.
So now I bang it hard when pulling out rod (that almost sounds dirty), and examine the cup to see if it looks like an appropriate amount of ash for the length of the cook.

Controller did have some temp swings. Whether the new ones are better, I don't know.
I ended up replacing the controller with a Savanah Stoker.
I like it a lot. It has a fan only mode which is great when smoking cheese.
Didn't know anything about what controllers were out there and I knew the guy that makes the Savanna Stokers.
Not personally though, we were just on the same forum together for a few years.
The Savannah Stoker has some temp swings, but not as bad.
I don't think you can get away from that in a thin wall smoker.
Tried to be honest with all of that, hope it helps.
Thanks for sharing this, appreciate having feedback from direct experience. I started looking at it more since I never used the grill capability of my GMG, only ever used it as a smoker. With having my weber right next to it on the deck I think I'm good with just a smoker functionality. The XXL would also be nice for smoking snack sticks as I can hang them.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Thanks for sharing this, appreciate having feedback from direct experience. I started looking at it more since I never used the grill capability of my GMG, only ever used it as a smoker. With having my weber right next to it on the deck I think I'm good with just a smoker functionality. The XXL would also be nice for smoking snack sticks as I can hang them.
Yes, the vertical space is great for hanging sausages.
Forgot to mention that it comes with a rack with hooks just for that. At least mine did.

Reactions: 274s
It does seem like RecTec has the lead in terms of support, and likely in build quality as well. I had found a video last night comparing ~8 smokers and it included RecTec and Camp Chef, though not the specific models I'm considering. In that video, i was very surprised to find that RecTec does not have a pellet drop method.

Maybe it just me, but I use different pellets for brisket (100% oak) vs pork shoulder (100% hickory) vs chicken (oak/hickory). Do RecTec owners just use a single pellet most of the time? Or do people keep a separate mini-shop vac around for ease of emptying pellets?
This is true. And the Hopper is huge, so if you we're to fill it up you would have to vacuum it out. The hopper is split down the middle, so you can use half the hopper capacity if you wanted.

As a camp chef owner, I really have no complaints, but I don't know that the WW pro with the wood box has been out there long enough for me to want to jump on one just yet. My SG24 wifi has been solid in the couple years I've owned it, and I do want the sidekick for searing ...... just haven't gotten it yet.

Anyone know if the Woodwinds 36 has any exposed wiring other than the power cord? I see that rectec uses conduit to procted the wiring from control panel to the body. Want to be sure I don't set myself up for a repeat of a pup chewing through the wiring.

Think I'm going to rule out the XXL due to painted interior and not stainless. From RecTec, Since the RT-120 is 'only' $130 more after tax, its where my focus is now. For Camp Chef, its down to the Woodwind Pro 36. Both are pretty much same list price, but found a place selling the CC with 10% and no sale tax so its ends up being a bit over $300 less than the RecTec.

Next question I realized I haven't seen in any reviews - how well do they do operating in the rain? In the Pac NW, I commonly have done overnight cooks in light rain with no issues. The GMG lids are hinged on the back side of the grill so no risk of water running down from peak in to the cooking compartment. I just put a jelly roll pan over the pellet hopper/control panel area to protect it.

The Woodwind Pro looks to have the hinges on a flat surface with good chance of water moving towards the front and getting in under the lid to fall in the cooking area. Is that correct?

For the RT-1250, can't tell if the hinge is right at peak of the circular body or if its on back side of it. Can anyone help with that?

Also, can the RecTec app do automatic cooking stages? On the GMG I could create a program in the app to have it start at 190 for 3 hours then switch to 225. Can RecTec automatically do that?

Last edited:
There is a picture of the 1250 with the lid open in the link I added above. The opening is at the peak so no water going in the chamber. The wires from the control to the under are in a metal conduit. I have a lot of CC equipment...it is very good stuff, but I have looked an many of the CCs at the venders and I would pay 300 more for a 1250. Now compare the RT 1070 Cart model vs the CC price, it wouldn't even be a second thought the RT 1070 would be in shipping.......

However, it is your $$ and you will be the one that needs to make the decision, the CC will and does work, so would another GMG, I have the mini GMC and have used it in the snow/rain to smoke a small turkey..... However, I also fire it up to 550 to cook steaks on the coast as well. Now compare the RT 1070 Cart model vs the CC price, it wouldn't even be a second thought for me, the RT 1070 would be in shipping.......

Just food for thought.....are you crafty? Since you are in the Pacific NW, have a dog that chews things (metal conduit won't stop that), are going to leave it in the open, and smoke in the rain (almost sounds like a song). If it were me, I would be getting a RT 1070 built in and then just build a cool little wood rolling cart with a small shed roof. Do a web search for recteq cart and look at the pics that come up. There is a guy that built a cart for his 700. The cart for a 1070 could be very compact and its already made to sit outside, ie even the grease pan is protected from the rain. I have lived in the PNW and I would be getting the 1070 cart or a built in and would build a cover rolling cart, but some have called me crafty......

The app is simple, dual band wifi and it allows you to adjust, records cooks, and has notifications, both on chamber temp and both meat probes. It doesn't have programs that I'm aware of, but I often control my 1250 from the office for my wife's cooks.

Anyone know if the Woodwinds 36 has any exposed wiring other than the power cord? I see that rectec uses conduit to procted the wiring from control panel to the body. Want to be sure I don't set myself up for a repeat of a pup chewing through the wiring.
If it is made like my SG24 (I suspect they didn't make any major changes to the overall design from the rest of their grills), than all the wiring between the cook chamber and controller is all enclosed in the sheet metal. The only wire on mine that is outside the housing is the power cord.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky