New RecTec Stampede Owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris Ahlheim

Original poster
Jul 10, 2018
Missouri
Just got my new rt-590 last night. No cooks on it yet, but I did snap a few shots of the interior for those interested. When I was making my decision, I had a hard time finding pics of these things out in the wild so I figured I would share. During the seasoning process, it went from 36* to 400* in about 19 minutes which I thought was pretty damn decent. Will probably check in here periodically with updates.

Exterior
90A7DFEF-4222-487A-B655-676E448F04D1.jpeg
Fire box
E8A910FE-84AD-47E9-8DEC-A5297CA50BFD.jpeg
Drip pan
99F0BE2C-5012-4324-A3FD-39E15A1403E5.jpeg
Grates
898226E6-0009-4F1F-86D1-3F26A13DA8F7.jpeg

A couple of months from now you can look back and see how you're unit looked when new. There is no turning back!

So today I added a folding front shelf since there are no manufacturer options.

I used the following folding brackets, which are sturdy, but suspec on their claims of stainless.

I also used this 36” oak stair tread.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/36-in-x...Red-Oak-Stair-Tread-8430R-036-0000L/202353497

It just so happened that the bottom hole for the bracket lined up 100% perfectly with the factory hole for the leg. I had to bore out the bracket hole to 3/8” in order to make it fit, but it was simple to do. One additional 1/4” hole in the fascia of the grill completed the metal works.
EAF3BE70-C159-4474-B33E-DA69F10D74AB.png
5CCB0C00-CE98-4F9B-9007-EFA49D04580C.png
B7950FF3-DB7F-4B86-9307-2676261AAE60.jpeg
E2CB3924-9F4D-44FF-8D72-899B02AACEE3.jpeg

Oh, and if anyone was interested, the Baker Stone pizza oven is a perfect fit!
31BD03EF-D764-48B5-93C6-8342E8B039DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: NU2SMOKE
So what hunk of meat are you going to christen your new pellet grill with? Gotta get the patina started!

This is gonna sound lame, but the soonest I can get something on there is going to be Saturday or Sunday. That said, it’ll be a brisket for sure. Pictures forthcoming.

Brisket and Butts are what weekends are for. During the week, weenies and burgers.

I'm curious about the pic of the firebox. Is that the heat difusser over the fire pot is is that the actual fire pot itself?
Sorry, you are correct. That is the heat diffuser over the top of the firebox. I will add that it is very heavy duty and the video of them drive a dump truck over it (well, at least one tire) are no bullshit!

Damn man, that looks awesome! Been lookin at the RT Stampede pretty hard... Thinkin of possibly pulling the trigger on one.

Damn man, that looks awesome! Been lookin at the RT Stampede pretty hard... Thinkin of possibly pulling the trigger on one.
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I was torn between this and the Yoder 640. It took me a while to pull the trigger since I couldn’t physically see it in person. The Yoder is built like a freakin’ tank and I came close to picking one up, but the extra cost and, oddly enough, the extra weight were more than I wanted to deal with. I am glad I gambled on the Rec Tec.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I was torn between this and the Yoder 640. It took me a while to pull the trigger since I couldn’t physically see it in person. The Yoder is built like a freakin’ tank and I came close to picking one up, but the extra cost and, oddly enough, the extra weight were more than I wanted to deal with. I am glad I gambled on the Rec Tec.

Yea, the Yoder though nice is out of my budget at this time. Lookin hard at the Stampede as well as the Camp Chef XXL vertical pellet smoker. Decisions, decisions... It'll likely be at least a few weeks before I pull the trigger on something. If ya don't mind posting an update on your cooks for a few weeks... I'd be in debt to ya!

Grilled 5 bacon wrapped fillets last night on “ful” which is the highest setting. Took about 25 minutes to reach max temp which was 524* (ambient temp 38*). No real sear to speak on the fillets but it cooked well with great flavor. While the bacon did crisp up nicely, I think I will end up investing in some grill grates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Grilled 5 bacon wrapped fillets last night on “ful” which is the highest setting. Took about 25 minutes to reach max temp which was 524* (ambient temp 38*). No real sear to speak on the fillets but it cooked well with great flavor. While the bacon did crisp up nicely, I think I will end up investing in some grill grates.

Thanks for the update Chris, it's much appreciated.

Justin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky