RecTec RT700 or Camp Chef Woodwind Pro 36 w/Sidekick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It does seem like RecTec has the lead in terms of support, and likely in build quality as well. I had found a video last night comparing ~8 smokers and it included RecTec and Camp Chef, though not the specific models I'm considering. In that video, i was very surprised to find that RecTec does not have a pellet drop method.

Maybe it just me, but I use different pellets for brisket (100% oak) vs pork shoulder (100% hickory) vs chicken (oak/hickory). Do RecTec owners just use a single pellet most of the time? Or do people keep a separate mini-shop vac around for ease of emptying pellets?
I have the RT 1250, and may live just down the street from you. I always use different pellets and have devised a simple method to get most of the old pellets out. It takes a while to come up to temp so just use the old pellets for that.

I can take some pics of how I switch if it is interesting for you. I will be doing it again on Wednesday afternoon.

I love the recteq and switched out a gmg for it. Support is incredible.

Reactions: 274s
I had posted earlier that my pup tore out wiring from my GMG grill. I can fix it, but I think after 7 years its time for something new anyways. So...

I thought I had it narrowed down to getting the CC Woodwind Pro 36 and adding on the griddle sidekick. But I see some posts here and elsewhere recommending Rectec.

Looking just at grate size/space, the RT700 seems close to the WW Pro 36 but the Pro 36 has 2 levels of grates to the RT700's one grate. So, then the RT-1070 looks like a decent option, especially since its more enclosed and protected from my pup, but it's grates are about 6" narrower side to side. Due to a connection for CC, the CC setup with the Sidekick griddle is same cost as the RT-1070.

Any reasons I shouldn't go with the CC? I like the idea of having a small griddle on side.
Have used both brands and they both are nice! Found the PID on the Camp Chef to be a bit cumbersome for whatever reason, but it worked fine otherwise.

The one thing about Recteq I hear over and over is that their customer service is top notch.

I'm kicking myself since I found out there was a 20% off that applied for RecTeq back for the 4th of July. If I had given up on GMG earlier I could have grabbed one on sale. I'm going to hold off a bit to see if there is a Labor Day sale and then grab a RecTeq (Still not sure on the 1070 vs 1250 though).

Really appreciate all the help from folks here. Great community!

Just food for thought.....are you crafty? Since you are in the Pacific NW, have a dog that chews things (metal conduit won't stop that), are going to leave it in the open, and smoke in the rain (almost sounds like a song). If it were me, I would be getting a RT 1070 built in and then just build a cool little wood rolling cart with a small shed roof. Do a web search for recteq cart and look at the pics that come up. There is a guy that built a cart for his 700. The cart for a 1070 could be very compact and its already made to sit outside, ie even the grease pan is protected from the rain. I have lived in the PNW and I would be getting the 1070 cart or a built in and would build a cover rolling cart, but some have called me crafty......
I'm not terribly crafty. I'm a geek who mostly does online project and occasionally does real-work project. I did build a wood ramp for my old pup who was not doing well going up the stairs for our deck, but that had a lot of room for error. I like the idea of building a wooden roofing structure for the smoker, just likely not a full cart. I have a deck about 4' off the ground and 10'x15'. One end of it (the 10' part) has the current smoker & grill. You have me thinking I can put them side by side on that 10' side and build, or hire someone to build, a 10x4 structure with a slatted back and roof to give me rain shelter. Something like this:
shelter.jpg

For the past 14 years at this house I've just dealt with the rain while grilling or smoking.

It always make me laugh when folks talk about great a item is then say customer service has been great,why did they contact CS? hope to never have to contact them lol, as far as hanging a small gas grill off on the side if you already have 1 it will probably be better than the add on unit looking at the added $$ . Good luck picking which 1, hard choices

I'm kicking myself since I found out there was a 20% off that applied for RecTeq back for the 4th of July. If I had given up on GMG earlier I could have grabbed one on sale. I'm going to hold off a bit to see if there is a Labor Day sale and then grab a RecTeq (Still not sure on the 1070 vs 1250 though).

Really appreciate all the help from folks here. Great community!
Since labor day is just around the corner, I think this maybe money in the bank..... you can't go wrong with either the 1070 or 1250..... I love my 1250, but if the 1070 car would have been available I would have likely gotten it...it reminds me of my old Memphis that the 1250 replaced
I'm not terribly crafty. I'm a geek who mostly does online project and occasionally does real-work project. I did build a wood ramp for my old pup who was not doing well going up the stairs for our deck, but that had a lot of room for error. I like the idea of building a wooden roofing structure for the smoker, just likely not a full cart. I have a deck about 4' off the ground and 10'x15'. One end of it (the 10' part) has the current smoker & grill. You have me thinking I can put them side by side on that 10' side and build, or hire someone to build, a 10x4 structure with a slatted back and roof to give me rain shelter. Something like this:
View attachment 672971

For the past 14 years at this house I've just dealt with the rain while grilling or smoking.
Yea, having a little rain cover changes the experience as well as protect the investment. I'm in the design phases of one for my house as well...... Mine will be 10x20 ish.....

It always make me laugh when folks talk about great a item is then say customer service has been great,why did they contact CS? hope to never have to contact them lol, as far as hanging a small gas grill off on the side if you already have 1 it will probably be better than the add on unit looking at the added $$ . Good luck picking which 1, hard choices
I talked to them a number of times, not because of issues after the purchase but before, them taking the time to answer questions as such..... They were very responsive, ie call and a person answers and actaully gives answers!

Its one reason I stay away from Vortex optics. They have great customer service, but boy do people need it a lot. The thing I look for is great customer service when you need it, but with a product that doesn't need it much. Hoping RecTeq fits that bill.

Asking a manufacture about their product is 1 thing but I would want real world folks to tell me how they like it, chevy dealers will tell you they are the best made but so will every other maker, all of them will work great certain days of the week lol

With RT's labor day 15% off sale having started, I've placed my order for a 1250. Was strongly considering the all stainless 1070 but in the end more space won out.

Congrats, and I think you are going to be happy. Oh pick up some spray away stainless polish to wipe down the exterior of it with. It will also keep it looking new as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky