New RecTec Stampede Owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, next up was grilled fish. 3 Tilapia fillets, 1 Rockfish fillet, and 6 raw shrimp. Ambient temp @ 20*, grill set to 500. Took a bit longer to get to temp than anticipated, so I decided to throw the fish on at 400*... about 28 minutes from start-up. Cooked them for about 7 minutes on each side, and it was done. Shrimp was pink @ about 8 minutes. All-in-all, the cook was good, but I was a bit disappointed that it took as long as it did to even reach 400*. Also, the wifi on the grill was not cooperating tonight. On start up, my phone connected to the grill right away and was tracking the set temp and actual temp. Unfortunately it ended up losing connection after about 3 minutes. As far as changes, the grill WAS moved about 15 feet away from where I had been keeping it previously, but my phone did have full WiFi signal and the grill hadn’t been unplugged since its last use (I have it on a 40’ extension cord). Not sure what the issue was, but it was very easy to report a bug via the RecTec app. More to come.

RecTec reached out to me (via email) the next day to help troubleshoot the WiFi issue but I never actually ended up getting back to them. Have run the grill a several times since then and haven’t had a recurrence of the issue.

Grilled chicken a few times since then with ambient temps in the mid-high 50’s and both times. Temps reached over 550* with the grill on FUL. Very happy with the results... great sear marks, great flavor. The one hiccup aside, I am still very happy with my purchase and the customer support from RecTec has been as advertised.

Smoking some ribs this weekend, fingers crossed.

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Just got my new rt-590 last night. No cooks on it yet, but I did snap a few shots of the interior for those interested. When I was making my decision, I had a hard time finding pics of these things out in the wild so I figured I would share. During the seasoning process, it went from 36* to 400* in about 19 minutes which I thought was pretty damn decent. Will probably check in here periodically with updates.

Exterior
View attachment 388494
Fire box
View attachment 388497
Drip pan
View attachment 388498
Grates
View attachment 388499

Congratulations on the extension of your warranty.

You bought it with a 2 year warranty.

Rec Tec has just announced that they are upping the warranty of the Stampede to 4 years, and that this includes Stampedes which are currently in owner's possession, or retroactively.

Yeah, saw the announcement, very happy to see it. That, and the quick responses to my issue equal pretty good peace of mind to be sure.

As for the ribs, there was a bit of a change of plans. Decided to smoke a couple birds instead. 2.5 hours @250* and another 30 minutes @ 400* to crisp the skins up.
BE7EFE13-7D75-41D2-B71B-D74221497753.jpeg

Turned out awesome!
B5B25F3D-3FD8-4CF9-B0B2-573AC6B051B2.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks down right tasty. Good to know the RecTec is doing it's job. I have a spatch cocked chicken on the grill with rutabagas and carrots for supper.

Chris the grill seems to work very well for you, Nice looking stuff. I just ordered a RT Stampede Friday 3-29-19 and now the wait . First pellet grill for me but I have done a lot of research on Rec Tec and they are like Yeti coolers they get customers to prophesize and spread the word. You can't buy that kind of advertising. The customer service is top notch .So nice to see your handy work and keep it up .Bill

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Congrats on the purchase, Bill! Yeah, its one of those things in a small community like this where information is at a premium, so owners evangelize for the products they believe in... or try to justify their purchase! Interested in hearing you thoughts once you get yours and get a few cooks under your belt. Out of curiosity, what sort of set up do you have now? I’m coming from a gas grill and a MES, and so far, this has been a good replacement for both. Though I do subscribe to Alton Browns thought process that a single task utensil has no place in the kitchen (or deck/patio).

Alton Brown is a hoot. I have watched cooking shows for 30+ yrs and just like them. Right now my favorite is Americas Test Kitchen. I have a few smokers A UDS home built (Rocks ) and 40" Masterbuilt and little chief . Webber gas grill that is a POS everything is falling apart. I had a Webber gas grill for 18 yrs granted I replaced almost everything in it but I cook on it year round. This new one is so typical of these company's that have a good brand then do some stupid decisions to save pennies per unit and ruin them. Have a Webber kettle too, works great for turkeys. so The bride likes when I cook and is all for anything I want to do that. And I will report back when I get a few cooks done. Thanks Bill

Chris the grill seems to work very well for you, Nice looking stuff. I just ordered a RT Stampede Friday 3-29-19 and now the wait . First pellet grill for me but I have done a lot of research on Rec Tec and they are like Yeti coolers they get customers to prophesize and spread the word. You can't buy that kind of advertising. The customer service is top notch .So nice to see your handy work and keep it up .Bill

We have been real happy with our Stampede. Good luck with yours and congrats.

Reactions: bill in mn
Congrats on the cooks! So far so good over here!

4 racks on the grates from yesterday.
EF18AB71-3E54-46AE-AC52-CDC4D28BC105.jpeg

BC4F195E-4E1E-4376-B51A-E84189021E6E.jpeg

3-2-1 method proved a bit too much for the baby backs though. Bones pulled right out, but not necessarily in a good way. Maybe 3-1-1 next time? Also, used famous Dave’s rib rub... not a huge fan. Waaaaaaay too much onion.
FBAA417D-B7F1-40A4-B1D3-804ADC09894E.jpeg

Reactions: mess and retfr8flyr
Did 3 racks of baby backs tonight on the Yoder with cherry. Can’t taste any different from pellet but I picked up a Maple Bacon Bourbon Chipotle rub from cabelas, some kinders brown sugar, and the steakhouse seasoning that came with the Yoder pack because it’s been so good on steaks and burgers.

These were just left on...no foil, no spritz, no sauce bath. The Cabelas rub was the favorite. Ribs left good bite marks bit some areas pulling off bone...inconsistent meat thickness.

B0FB456E-4E6D-4460-B09F-9052BFBB8D90.jpeg

Reactions: bill in mn
First ribs one rack ( in three pieces ) baby backs and the other were St. Louis style . Ran 250 ° 3-3-1 and they were good but to done . The family got caught up in traffic so they were wrapped for 3 hrs. Baby backs won the S-L style had a lot of fat ( there suppose to) but both were very good. Bill

thumbnail_IMG_4236.jpg

Last edited:
A total of 7hrs at 250 is likely going to be too long.

I'm sure that you know this, but that 3-2-1, 3-3-1, X-X-X etc stuff, is all a guide and has probably resulted in more over cooked ribs than anything else.

Perhaps the best eyeball test out ther for ribs is the bend test.

Grabbing one end of the rack with the tongs, holding them up and letting them bend.

When they start to crack at the bend and the closer you can get to a 90* angle without breaking the rack as you hold them in the tongs leaving them hanging, and you're close if not there.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky