New Cutting Board and Handmade Knives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lookn4u

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Arlington, TX
Went to the Tulsa Arms show, as I do twice a year, and all I got was this cutting board and knife set. Cutting board is one solid piece of mesquite and the knifes are hand made from spring steel. Family operation out of Mission Texas. Cutting board is over 3 inches think and comes in at just over 40 lbs. It is pushed against the back of the counter and overhangs the front a few inches. Knives feel great have a good balance to them, can't wait to try them out.
View media item 554160

I still prefer high carbon steel to most stainless. Holds an edge better.
I just got out and old Dexter that has been handed down through generations and deboned a Pork Shoulder with it.
Worked as well as it did when Dad used it when I was a little shaver.
Still takes and holds it's edge. ;)

Reactions: Lookn4u and jcam222
Love the cutting board. Im shopping for one now. What is spring steel?

High carbon steel, very high yield strength. Use for automotive leaf springs, hince, the generic name "spring steel" They feel like you could fell a tree with them.

I still prefer high carbon steel to most stainless. Holds an edge better.
I just got out and old Dexter that has been handed down through generations and deboned a Pork Shoulder with it.
Worked as well as it did when Dad used it when I was a little shaver.
Still takes and holds it's edge. ;)

I agree, SonnyE, I've still got a few left from my dad's store!

003.JPG

Reactions: Lookn4u and SonnyE
Nice set up! I prefer carbon steel over stainless as well. But I keep them separated from the others. People just don't understand about not putting them in the dishwasher!

Reactions: Lookn4u
Nice set up! I prefer carbon steel over stainless as well. But I keep them separated from the others. People just don't understand about not putting them in the dishwasher!
I have learned that I have to have personal knives hid from everyone else lol. Can’t tell you how many times I found knives in the dishwasher or laying wet in the sink. All my knives now live in my desk in my office!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky