NASA Launch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used to live in Hobe Sound many years ago and got to see the Space Shuttle go up quite a few times, it sure is a sight to see!

On one of my boat deliveries from Massachusetts to Florida we got to watch a Space shuttle launch. One damn big stick of fire! Super cool!

If people don't have any kind of launch on their bucket list, they sure need to add one.  I've only seen one, back in August 1984.  It was the first launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery.  It was a morning launch and my wife and I were watching 12 miles from the launch site.  I don't know if it was the morning air, wind direction, or what exactly, but it got so loud, the vibrations so strong, it was like someone was beating on our chests with drum mallets! 

My wife later became Director of a Challenger Learning Center here in Sacramento, the educational outreach that resulted from the Challenger explosion.  During her decade plus of working with the Center she saw several shuttles launch, at least two from the grandstands just 3 miles from the launch pad. They were both afternoon launches and she said they were no where near as loud or intense as the first one we saw.   

Last edited:
When my wife was an ATC at EAFB she worked the shuttle in many times. I worked flight line and knew most of the shuttle pilots as we got their T-38 trainers ready.

I got to see many shuttle landing and piggyback on the 747. When i was a kid growing up in the AV the first glide flight off the 747 popped off right over my parents house. YIKES way back.

I missed this one.

But I have seen a few from here.

We are inland but can still see them.

Were only a few miles from the Avon Park bombing range, so we get to see a lot of fighter jets & bombers flying around.

Al

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky