My "Outdoor" Kitchen Tour

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SCBBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 2, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I thought it would be fun to share some details on my outdoor kitchen that I built several years back. It was part of a larger expansion on our home, so the build took 4 years total to complete, but the results are still being enjoyed and will be for many years into the future. I'll post features and details over the next few weeks slowly, Hope you enjoy and let me know if you have any questions or comments -

Here's a exterior picture of the space as a preview.

Best,

Rob

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 10.11.03 PM.png

The construction is a combination of treated wood framing with laminated beams and Masonry.

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 10.38.15 PM.png

Shoulda dug a salumi cellar 20' deep in the ground with 1 window to the north, one to the east, and one to the west while you were at it........<sarc>

Kidding...your outdoor kitchen looks nice!

• Haha
Reactions: TH-n-PA
Kind of did something similar. This isn't built at grade. There's a basement underneath this space, and at the coast of South Carolina, so it wasn't easy to pull off due to ground water levels.. Part of the space underneath is a cool wine cellar... that I'm considering adding a salami cellar area to. It would be isolated off the wine cellar with humidity controls etc.

I have given serious thought to a geothermal system for an above ground cellar....would have to build a seriously reinforced structure though so it could be covered with dirt above ground. A geothermal system would produce the right atmosphere though.....

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Rob what are the dimensions and I look forward to watching this thread

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Very nice, looks like a beautiful spot you have to live!! Will enjoy following along with your posts!

Very nice space, Rob. Looking forward to more pictures.

at the coast of South Carolina
Whereabouts along the coast are you? I have some family in Charleston, but my family history is in the Beaufort/Yemassee area...

The aesthetics are perfect ! From the features to the colors . Great attention to detail .
Just wondering the thought behind the treated lumber for wall studs ? Code in your area , or did you have another reason ?

Are the exterior features FRP , or wood ?

What are the blacked out window sections ? Are those a complete unit or something you assembled ?
Great thread . I'll be following too .

Looks really nice is an understatement, but I'll go with it! Following along as well!

Ryan

Thanks guys, will answer questions as I can .. So first , here’s a larger panned out view that shows the relationship to the terrace and pool . When we first designed it , I wanted a courtyard feel sort of, so adjacent the space is a outdoor living room and fireplace and of course the pool. We are able to place (12), 8 top round tables in this area as well for events/dinners and serve directly out of this kitchen .

The kitchen can still be ‘outdoor’ by opening up the Marvin lift and slide doors as they disappear into a pocket in the wall, along for a 12’ or so wide opening into the cooking space. It’s a nice because the floor has no threshold to step over or trip over .

52C1465B-1309-47B4-A38A-A775653FC9DC.jpeg

Underneath this space we have a indoor dining room that this kitchen serves as well, so it’s somewhat central to its two eating areas , so the flow works nice , especially noticed during busy parties etc.

The aesthetics are perfect ! From the features to the colors . Great attention to detail .
Just wondering the thought behind the treated lumber for wall studs ? Code in your area , or did you have another reason ?

Are the exterior features FRP , or wood ?

What are the blacked out window sections ? Are those a complete unit or something you assembled ?
Great thread . I'll be following too .
Thanks, appreciate the compliments !

I used treated on all the ground floor framing as well as the two structures in the above picture . Mostly thinking long term and avoiding termites and rot potential from unforeseen leaks .

The dark brown sections are painted hardiboard , to visually connect the look of the adjacent side outdoor living room where there’s nothing between the 4 columns . These 8 columns all have bronze ,inground up lights so at night it really makes it all come together nice and symmetrically..

Of note , we have no wood on the exterior of the home with the exception of the main doors which are mahogany.

Of note , we have no wood on the exterior of the home with the exception of the main doors
That's why I wondered . With the amount of thought that went into this , I figured you didn't .

I've installed a lot of FRP ( fiberglass reinforced plastic ) on buildings . Both inside and outside . Just wondering what those were made of .

That's why I wondered . With the amount of thought that went into this , I figured you didn't .

I've installed a lot of FRP ( fiberglass reinforced plastic ) on buildings . Both inside and outside . Just wondering what those were made of .
Everything is syn-board , fypon, or hardi products . Fiberglass sounds awesome but haven’t been exposed to using that here yet .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky