Outdoor Kitchen Cabinet Base

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joeysz

Original poster
Apr 14, 2022
Hey everyone! I am new here and searched to be sure I am not repeating anyone... I am in the middle of covered patio/outdoor kitchen construction and I have run into the question of whether the cabinet base for grill, burner, and smoker needs to be non combustable. Products that will be built in include the following:
•Napoleon 700 44RB
•Napoleon 700 Power Burner
•Kamado Joe Big Joe
Sounds like a dumb question as I initially was planning all non-combustable; however, the local company I got the grill from said it comes with a thermal jacket that would eliminate this requirement. I thought this was an add on and am still trying to confirm with 100% certainty that it comes with this jacket. But even if the grill has the jacket, I am not receiving clear answers around requirements for power burner and Kamado. The Kamado will sit on lowered counter, so does the surround need to be non-combustable? I want to make sure this is done right but also want it to look nice... we have a huge stone fireplace and initially planned to wrap cabinets in same stone but then decided it was too much stone. Our house is all wood cedar siding, so we are liking the idea of sticking with similar look that can be painted to match house. You'll see in attached plans that the cabinets wraps around entire outside portion of covered space. Again I just want to make sure it is done correctly from the start and I am being told different things and curious to hear what materials others have used. Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Outdoor Kitchen Elevation.jpg
    Outdoor Kitchen Elevation.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
•Napoleon 700 44RB
Yes
•Napoleon 700 Power Burner
Yes
•Kamado Joe Big Joe
Not necessary but would not hurt just to be on the safe side. Also, there would be continuity in appearance if all are finished out the same way. May cost a bit more but in the end you'll like the results.

Please keep us posted and of course, show pics when finished. i love seeing these projects come together.

Robert

I agree with Robert , but I'll add this . If these are designed as built in units , I would think it should have a UL number associated with each product . That number will relate to lab testing and directly determine the installation specs .
I would think that each one comes with that in mind , and have the required gap built in to the units themselves .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky