Jeff's Rub & The Best Ribs of my Life*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I accidentally made the best ribs of my life the other day.

I have a seasoning issue. I am an avid collector of all kinds of seasonings, salts, rubs, spices, etc. I have so many that it takes up so much real estate in our kitchen my wife forbids me to get any more unless I'm replacing or refilling. The attached photo does not show the bags of spices in the guest room closet I have for sausages and corned beef and general resupply.

A couple weeks back I decided I really needed to try Jeff's rub so I hopped on his site and bought a couple rubs. I had a big cook for some volunteers and I started with 6 pork shoulders. When those were done I moved on to a giant beef chunk. Since I had some smoker space available I decided to throw on a single rack of ribs I've had in the freezer way too long. On went Jeff's rub. I followed the 3-2-1 method.

To this day I maintain the best ribs I've had were at Oklahoma Joe's, the famous gas station in KC. Somehow, and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to replicate it, I got totally lucky and *almost topped it and I'm pretty sure Jeff's Rub helped. It was super tasty. I only used the rub and did not coat it with any sauce as I'm really not a sauce guy. Holy pig were they amazing. The only critique I have is that they were almost fall-off-the-bone and just barely had some "tooth" left in them. I pray I can replicate this in the future. Maybe having a giant 20 lb beef blob in there helped as well.

Here's the six shoulders.
IMG_4857.jpeg

Here's just a part of my collection. The cabinet is deep and I have to hide things from you-know-who. The gliding racks are full and I could use a couple more.
Spice Cab.jpeg

And here's the only shot I have of the best ribs of my life.*
Jeffs Rub.jpeg

Thanks TulsaJeff TulsaJeff . I'm gunna have to make sure I've always got plenty on hand.

I mentioned this as well

Reactions: Sven Svensson
That is some collection of rubs you have there! Especially considering it is not all of it! And congrats on finding the sweet spot on your ribs! I'll have to try Jeff's rub and give it a go. I am trying to use up rubs as I go (our pantry cannot take a collection like yours!), but, it is difficult. congrats again on the ribs, they look delicious!

That's about a ton of great looking food right there Sven. Fantastic to hear that you nailed the ribs to be the best you've ever had. Feels pretty good, eh? I gotta be honest though, you've got some catching up to do with the spice collection :emoji_laughing: The nice thing though is that I own the pantry and a few cabinets in the utility room so I don't have an issue with somebody trying to take over my space.
just barely had some "tooth" left in them
Sounds like Justin ( yankee2bbq yankee2bbq ) :emoji_astonished:

Robert

I strictly use Jeff's Original on all Pork dishes, nothing better, IMO. I use the Texas on some Beef dishes. Both are excellent and well worth the price. BTW I filled our Spice cabinet and have added a wall of a few racks in our Pantry, and still need more room, lol.

Awesome post Sven! I think we share the same spice problem🤣 My next house I’m trying to get a spice closet of my own! The smoker shot is magazine worthy and I sympathize with your accidental home-run. I think that becomes the white Buffalo we chase! Congrats, great cook!

Thanks for all the kind comments. For whatever reason I put the worst picture in this post and never caught it. And then it ends up on the spinner. Haha! Here’s a couple better shots. IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg
That red is not an editing trick. They actually looked like that for a couple of hours before the bark darkened. I had LK Cherry pellets in the hopper.

Very nice cook Sven! I recently got Jeff’s rib as well and it is very good. His BBQ sauce is SPICY….. I missed the part in the instructions where he said he likes spicy…..tru dat, 1/2 the pepper (black and red) and it’s in the right range for me!

Just tell your wife that your spice collection is only the taste testing amount……I will admit I have 3 sets of cabinets (46 inch high) like that full and let’s not get into the pantry that houses a backup for each of the cabinets stock……

Well Sven , good to see you on the carousel and showing what you say is your best ever ribs,
And I wish my spice closet was that neat , I have to get back in there and organize mine again.

I also just used Jeffs Texas rub on my pork in the potato bomb post. And I loved it also.

Nice batch of meats for the volunteers, :emoji_thumbsup:

David

Very nice cook Sven! I recently got Jeff’s rib as well and it is very good. His BBQ sauce is SPICY….. I missed the part in the instructions where he said he likes spicy…..tru dat, 1/2 the pepper (black and red) and it’s in the right range for me!

Just tell your wife that your spice collection is only the taste testing amount……I will admit I have 3 sets of cabinets (46 inch high) like that full and let’s not get into the pantry that houses a backup for each of the cabinets stock……
The thing is, they go bad after a while and lose their punch. I discovered this with a big can of Lawry's I had. It turned almost white and didn't smell like anything. It's fun to have a collection but this stuff needs to be used and I don't make or eat enough smoked meat to keep ahead of it all.

The thing is, they go bad after a while and lose their punch. I discovered this with a big can of Lawry's I had. It turned almost white and didn't smell like anything. It's fun to have a collection but this stuff needs to be used and I don't make or eat enough smoked meat to keep ahead of it all.
There is that.....solution smoke more!!! LOL

I accidentally made the best ribs of my life the other day.

I have a seasoning issue. I am an avid collector of all kinds of seasonings, salts, rubs, spices, etc. I have so many that it takes up so much real estate in our kitchen my wife forbids me to get any more unless I'm replacing or refilling. The attached photo does not show the bags of spices in the guest room closet I have for sausages and corned beef and general resupply.

A couple weeks back I decided I really needed to try Jeff's rub so I hopped on his site and bought a couple rubs. I had a big cook for some volunteers and I started with 6 pork shoulders. When those were done I moved on to a giant beef chunk. Since I had some smoker space available I decided to throw on a single rack of ribs I've had in the freezer way too long. On went Jeff's rub. I followed the 3-2-1 method.

To this day I maintain the best ribs I've had were at Oklahoma Joe's, the famous gas station in KC. Somehow, and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to replicate it, I got totally lucky and *almost topped it and I'm pretty sure Jeff's Rub helped. It was super tasty. I only used the rub and did not coat it with any sauce as I'm really not a sauce guy. Holy pig were they amazing. The only critique I have is that they were almost fall-off-the-bone and just barely had some "tooth" left in them. I pray I can replicate this in the future. Maybe having a giant 20 lb beef blob in there helped as well.

Here's the six shoulders.
View attachment 663259

Here's just a part of my collection. The cabinet is deep and I have to hide things from you-know-who. The gliding racks are full and I could use a couple more.
View attachment 663260

And here's the only shot I have of the best ribs of my life.*
View attachment 663261

Thanks TulsaJeff TulsaJeff . I'm gunna have to make sure I've always got plenty on hand.
Did you buy the recipe? Or just buy the pre-made rub?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky