My first ever smoke is under way!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokerNovice

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
I posted this in the general section as well, not sure where it belongs.

Got 3 racks of baby backs in the Masterbuilt smoker. First time ever using it. I seasoned it for 3 hours. Now I have the ribs with a mustard rub and dry rub, uncovered. Gonna do it for 2 hours. Then 2 hours tented with a little apple cider. Then last hour with my homemade bbq sauce. When it comes to wood chips I read add every 45 minutes.. When I added the first batch of chips, it was smoking pretty heavy, but it faded out after about 25 min.. Should I add more now or wait the full 45 minutes? Thanks! I'll post pix later.

When there's no smoke...add.

The two greatest investments you can make for your MES:

1.An AMNPS(tray) or AMNTS(tube).Eliminates chip loading every half hour.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/

2.A good dual probe thermometer.Everyone has a preference,I use a Thermopro TP-08.One probe for food temp and one for chamber temp.

Many more will weigh in on this with some great advice.Hopefully one will be Bearcarver,extremely knowledgeable about the MES.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokerNovice
When there's no smoke...add.

The two greatest investments you can make for your MES:

1.An AMNPS(tray) or AMNTS(tube).Eliminates chip loading every half hour.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/

2.A good dual probe thermometer.Everyone has a preference,I use a Thermopro TP-08.One probe for food temp and one for chamber temp.

Many more will weigh in on this with some great advice also.

What he said (have both). Be sure to post pics of that final first smoke!

I posted this in the general section as well, not sure where it belongs.

Got 3 racks of baby backs in the Masterbuilt smoker. First time ever using it. I seasoned it for 3 hours. Now I have the ribs with a mustard rub and dry rub, uncovered. Gonna do it for 2 hours. Then 2 hours tented with a little apple cider. Then last hour with my homemade bbq sauce. When it comes to wood chips I read add every 45 minutes.. When I added the first batch of chips, it was smoking pretty heavy, but it faded out after about 25 min.. Should I add more now or wait the full 45 minutes? Thanks! I'll post pix later.

So you had the original load of chips and a re-load? I would suggest you stop, and cook the ribs now. See how everyone likes 'em. Then you'll now next time to try 3 loads. You don't need to constantly smoke your meats. The meat can only absorb so much. The so called sweet spot for adding smoke is about 90 degrees IT to 150 IT. Above and below you'll see some smoke on the meat but at a diminished capacity.

Stick with your two loads and leave the doors shut and I think you'll like what you end up with. BUT if not you'll know next time to do 3 loads.

Wait, is that an MES30 or MES40? If the larger I might go ahead with another load. BUT make sure and leave the door shut.

Thanks so much guys! The ribs came out AWESOME! Everyone loved them. You all are so helpful, I really really appreciate that. I'm going to post a new thread either later tonight or tomorrow with pix. This was my first ever attempt at smoking, and I think I'm hooked already! Thanks again! Foamheart - I ended up doing 3 batches of chips in the initial 2 hours, and one more batch of chips in the last hour. Next time I might cut it down by 1 batch. The ribs were excellent but I'm curious to see the difference with one less batch.

You'll never finish adjusting and trying new things, times, temps, woods, rubs, brines, etc etc etc.... it is so much fun. Now ya know why they always told ya not to play with your food, cause its sooooo much fun!!

Glad ya had great ribs! Course we all knew it, you just have to learn to deal with the 2 P's, Prep & Patience!

You'll never finish adjusting and trying new things, times, temps, woods, rubs, brines, etc etc etc.... it is so much fun. Now ya know why they always told ya not to play with your food, cause its sooooo much fun!!

Glad ya had great ribs! Course we all knew it, you just have to learn to deal with the 2 P's, Prep & Patience!
It gets more dangerous on longer smokes when you start thinking ahead for the next thing and start forming new wild ideas to try and then you run them by here and people chime in and the ideas just keep expanding ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky