My first attempt at a little brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

southtexsmoker

Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
So I did a brisket for the first time a few months ago. I meant to put pictures on here but am finally getting around to it. It was a three pounder so I figured a good place to start. It fit my food budget and wouldn't take to long to cook.

Resized_20171111_151334_5401.jpg

I basically trimmed it a little, used Buffaloe sauce as a binder for garlic/onion powder and lemon pepper. This is my basic beef seasoning I came up with a few years ago and just kept it simple in that department.

I used a small charcoal basket in my little kingsford 32 inch grill filled with royal oak basic briquettes. This little basket gives me a 2 and a half to 3 hour burn. I topped the briquettes with a few handfuls of mesquite chips. Here's another pic if the final product .

Resized_20171111_151545_3653.jpg

I let it cook indirect for 2 and 1/2 hours then put it in a foil pan with a cup of water mixed with soy, worcestershire, and sriracha. Let it stream two more hours and rest thirty min covered. Next cook I'll take pics of the before and after and the equipment used.

Lastly the brisket was moist, delicious, and not over cooked. The only thing that would have been better is if it were a couple pounds bigger.

Looks great to me. Nice job. How much of the sriracha did the meat pick up in the steam bath? I like the sound of it. I've wanted to use it as a binder but haven't got around to it yet.

Reactions: southtexsmoker
Looks awesome!
How amazing is that mesquite flavor on that beef? :)
Pretty dang good. Thanks for the compliment btw. Mesquite makes one of the most dramatic smoke rings too!! Here in South Texas it's every where. So I use it as much as anything but especially with beef.

Looks great to me. Nice job. How much of the sriracha did the meat pick up in the steam bath? I like the sound of it. I've wanted to use it as a binder but haven't got around to it yet.
Not much really. The good thing was that great drippings left afterward. You could run the brisket through it or pour it over the slices. It was like a fortified sweet/spicy/savory au jus. Can't complain at all. Give it a try.

This is a great result for a beginner - looks tasty. And Buffaloe sauce is a good choice as for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky