My 3rd Tri Tip ever. Really digging this cut.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks amazing!!! perfect doneness!

I can get TT at Costco for about $6 per lb. butcher is twice that. I have to get them at Costco. cant justify 2X the cost. I can get them at will almost anywhere in town.

That is just a beautifully plated meal!! It all looks beyond fantastic and that meat is PERFECT!

I have a question about tri tip. Why is it almost impossible to find in certain parts of the country? And when I do see it, it's ungodly expensive. Seeing pics like these makes me really want to try it.

Looks amazing!!! perfect doneness!

I can get TT at Costco for about $6 per lb. butcher is twice that. I have to get them at Costco. cant justify 2X the cost. I can get them at will almost anywhere in town.

Thank you sandy it! I wish a Costco was close to me, I’d be in a lot of trouble!

Beautiful pairing of colors and textures here. Very impressed!

Joe, Awesome looking smoke and meal !!!

That is just a beautifully plated meal!! It all looks beyond fantastic and that meat is PERFECT!

Thanks guys! One of the things I like is that there’s different degrees of doneness on the TT. More rare towards the center and medium near the edges, so there’s something for everyone when serving for a crowd.

I have a question about tri tip. Why is it almost impossible to find in certain parts of the country? And when I do see it, it's ungodly expensive. Seeing pics like these makes me really want to try it.

As a east coast guy, I hear ya.w Tri tip originated on the west coast where it seems to be plentiful and cheaper. If they weren’t cutting them off the sirloin, they were grinding them up.

The first time I seen them was at Wegmans. Yes, ungodly expensive (paid $11lb for the first one I ever did as a curiosity)...and they’ve gotten more expensive.

Besides ordering these from a local butcher shop for much cheaper, I still don’t see them in supermarkets....I’m actually starting to find packer briskets at my local Walmart. So it may be time to smoke my first full brisket.

Reactions: fullborebbq

Until just a few years ago, tri tip was exclusively a West Coast staple. We could get it all day long at $1.99/lb, or less, on sale. About three years ago that all changed. I can still get Choice grade for $3.50-$5.50 / lb, occasionally $2.88. I stock up when I see it at that price. Just this past weekend I checked out a different discount grocer in my area and they had the 20 lb vacuum packs of untrimmed tri tips for $3.49/lb. That's how I'll buy them from now on. I'll trim them and vacuum seal them for the freezer.

Reactions: xray and 6GRILLZNTN
Thank you sandy it! I wish a Costco was close to me, I’d be in a lot of trouble!

Thanks guys! One of the things I like is that there’s different degrees of doneness on the TT. More rare towards the center and medium near the edges, so there’s something for everyone when serving for a crowd.

the varying doneness works great at our house too! the wife like barley pink/"no blood", I like it very medium rare almost rare. Love TT

Reactions: xray
Looks great! I've been doing them to about 110F then doing a 4 side sear to about 118 F. Backbone the indirect to 130 and rest for 10 min to about 135. Works ok for me. Good job!

That looks amazing! I've tried to cook a few but I haven't mastered the skills (yet...) Very nice plate. I wanna bite!

Looks great! I've been doing them to about 110F then doing a 4 side sear to about 118 F. Backbone the indirect to 130 and rest for 10 min to about 135. Works ok for me. Good job!

Thank you! Your method sounds like you could get a good crust on them, I'll have to try this.

That looks amazing! I've tried to cook a few but I haven't mastered the skills (yet...) Very nice plate. I wanna bite!

Thanks! I'm sure yours are just as good.

Stop on up, I have a little bit left that will probably get eaten tonight. I had TT tacos for lunch yesterday...good stuff!

Thank you! Your method sounds like you could get a good crust on them, I'll have to try this.

Kind og a good crust yeah. 20190602_202750.jpg 20190602_204723.jpg

Stop on up, I have a little bit left that will probably get eaten tonight. I had TT tacos for lunch yesterday...good stuff!

Reactions: xray

Looks good Gold, I love it!! Here’s the one I used Hardcore Carnivore Black rub. It put a beautiful crust on the Tri tip and gave a nice contrast with the interior. It was just too salty for my taste.
29A1705C-ED56-46CD-9FB6-8DD616D05363.jpeg

3D9BD927-E5BB-421D-8293-C72B58312646.jpeg

Reactions: GoldenAmbers BBQ
I think the rub I will purchase is by Rockin Rubs and it's in a can. Called Steak Mojo . it says it's good for tri tip especially.

Looks good, thanks for the heads up, I book marked it. I don’t buy a lot of commercial rubs but I save the ones I want to try.

That black rub I will try on a fast grilled ribeye next time to see if it’s less salty than the TT that got smoked for 1-2 hours and see if there’s a difference. If not, I’ll add 1 part black pepper to it and maybe some chili powder...should cut back on the saltiness then.

Reactions: GoldenAmbers BBQ
I either marinate or dry rub/brine my Tri-tips.
Then I just treat them like a steak, either cook reverse sear with smoke or straight onto a blazing hot grill.
Get a nice sear on them and a medium rare or medium finish.

zdpHct7.jpg
I never did a tri tip like a steak yet. I'm always thinking of getting some smoke on it. I'll have to try it like that.

Santa Maria, CA is the self-proclaimed origin of grilled tri tip BBQ, although the modern cut migrated south from San Francisco in the 1960s. Some say it is much older, all the way back to the Vaqueros. I started grilling it in the mid-80s when a Navy buddy from Santa Maria introduced me to the cut.

Google "Santa Maria Rub Recipe" if you want to understand the original flavors. Tri tip is best when lightly seasoned, allowing the steak-like flavor to shine.

Personally I like to give it a light dusting of Mont. Steak Seasoning, wrap in plastic, and dry brine overnight. It is best when med rare, but transforms into a juicy brisket-flat-like texture and flavor when smoked to 190F IT.

Remember to cut against the grain, which is essential, but tricky, with a TT.

Reactions: Icefever
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky