My 3rd Tri Tip ever. Really digging this cut.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
This is only my third time making tri tip and I must say, I really have been enjoying them! Only two left in the freezer, need to order more soon.

This is also the first time my wife got to try a reverse seared tri tip, the first two times, she wasn’t around...snooze and you lose.

Here’s my other ones:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/a-tri-tip-smokes-in-pa.276537/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/a-busy-week-smoking-pic-heavy.287347/

For today’s smoke, the tri tip is was seasoned with SPOG plus a light mix of ancho and pasilla dried chile powder and a touch of rosemary to tie in the meat with the Italian grilled mushrooms and Caprese salad.
A3A1F403-5ABF-4E5F-B955-22AA4C56B2EE.jpeg

Tri tip was smoked at 220 with a mix of hickory and cherry pellets. Since this was a thin roast (my thinnest one yet) it only took about 45 minutes to reach 125F IT. I then grilled it to a final IT of 133F in its thickest point.

A4304FAE-85DF-41E2-A8A7-9D8278C12815.jpeg

The mushrooms were lightly coated with olive oil and then sprinkled with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Once they were close to being finished, I brushed with melted butter, cooked a few minutes longer and then squeezed fresh lemon juice on them and pulled them off the grill.

I also served a caprese salad on the side: sliced tomatoes and mozzarella, fresh chopped basil and a balsamic reduction drizzled over the top.

Here’s dinner!
03712563-1063-4E46-9DD3-97CDE9461BFF.jpeg

4E5E7FDF-2C59-43C3-96C3-B49493CE5136.jpeg

Easy, simple, light...and delicious. Wife approved.

Thanks for looking,

Xray (Joe)

I’m with Chile, the plate looks fantastic but the caprese looks amazing! Cant wait til the tomatoes start growing here.

Last edited:
Joe great job on that TT. I still haven't had the TT experience - too dang expensive around here when you can find them.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice smoke!! Looks like you hit that one prefect.
I have been enjoying some Tri Tip myself. $8.99lb here a whole Tri Tip is around 2 - 2 1/2 lbs.

Beautiful Plate!
That Tri-tip looks like perfection.
But I want some of that Caprese salad most of all.
Like!

I’m with Chile, the plate looks fantastic but the caprese looks amazing! Cant wait til the tomatoes start growing here.

Thank you guys! Yeah I can’t stand eating tomatoes during the winter when they’re bland and blah...

My relatives run a farm so I’m always in supply of fresh tomatoes. When they’re in season I pretty much eat nothing but tomato sandwiches, cucumber tomato salad and Caprese salad (starting to sound like Bubba Gump here)

I have potted basil that is growing like crazy, so I made the salad for my dish. The salad is also good served over grilled portobello mushroom caps.

Been wanting to try one of those for awhile. Now you've planted the seed hopefully it will grow into my memory.

Wow! Great looking plate!

Fantastic looking meal!

Looks like like you nailed it!

Wow a meal fit for a king Looks Great!!

Looks about perfect...LIKE!

Thank you guys! I hope you enjoyed looking at it as much as I enjoyed eating it. Leftovers will be TT tacos for lunch here in a bit.

Joe great job on that TT. I still haven't had the TT experience - too dang expensive around here when you can find them.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for the point, Chris. My Wegmans keeps them in stock at $13 a lb...they could keep ‘em for that price.

I called an area butcher back in February and he said he would order a case. $6 a lb or $5 a lb if I bought the whole case. A whole case was something like 200-300$....but he was cool piecing them out to me. I basically told him “here’s $80, give me as much as you can.”

I’m thinking of going into thirds with my brothers and then dividing them up.

Reactions: un4gvn1 and gmc2003
Everything looks great. I have Tri Tip in the freezer. Was shocked at the price $9.99 a lb.

Thank you PAS, get yours cooked up!

See above response to Chris. Yeah I don’t think I would pay much more than $7 a lb for them, especially when others get them dirt cheap. The first one I ever bought was 13$ a lb...but it was bachelor week and I ate that thing for a few days.

Thanks for the point, Chris. My Wegmans keeps them in stock at $13 a lb...they could keep ‘em for that price.

I called an area butcher back in February and he said he would order a case. $6 a lb or $5 a lb if I bought the whole case. A whole case was something like 200-300$....but he was cool piecing them out to me. I basically told him “here’s $80, give me as much as you can.”

I’m thinking of going into thirds with my brothers and then dividing them up.

I'll have to try that route. I have an old high school friend whose family runs a meat market in Burlington. Maybe he'll cut me a similar deal. Can't hurt asking.

Chris

Great looking meal man! Cant find tri-tip around here and if you do its crazy expensive.

Nice smoke!! Looks like you hit that one prefect.
I have been enjoying some Tri Tip myself. $8.99lb here a whole Tri Tip is around 2 - 2 1/2 lbs.

Thanks guys for the compliments, it would be nice if they were cheaper, that way they could be enjoyed by more people.

I'll have to try that route. I have an old high school friend whose family runs a meat market in Burlington. Maybe he'll cut me a similar deal. Can't hurt asking.

Chris

Yeah definitely, see what happens.

This butcher already ordered a case when I inquired about price and availability. He called me and told me they were here.

I told him I felt bad and he didn’t have to order a case if I only wanted a few TT’s out of it.

He told me he would display the rest or grind them if he had to. He was also very curious about cooking them, I explained smoking them with a reverse sear.....so maybe he ordered them to satisfy his own curiosity as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky