My 3rd Tri Tip ever. Really digging this cut.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For those of you that can't find Tri Tips in your area, can you find Ball Tips? I personally like them better than T.T. on the grill.
Those all look great by the way, although I much prefer hot and fast grilling over lump hardwood coals. Yeh just gotta keep them moving the whole time or they will burn quickly, I make sure I always have a beer in hand for flares up's.

Looks Great, Joe!!
I still never had any Tri Tip here in SE PA.
Every time I see one of those things I wonder "If you threw that thing away, would it come back to you?":emoji_wink:
Yours Looks Fantastic!!
Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: xray
Looks Great, Joe!!
Every time I see one of those things I wonder "If you through that thing away, would it come back to you?":emoji_wink:
Yours Looks Fantastic!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks bear and thanks for the like!

I had a butcher order these. The only place I’ve seen them readily stocked was at Wegmans but they’re now $13/lb... I can’t bite on that price.

For those of you that can't find Tri Tips in your area, can you find Ball Tips? I personally like them better than T.T. on the grill.
Those all look great by the way, although I much prefer hot and fast grilling over lump hardwood coals. Yeh just gotta keep them moving the whole time or they will burn quickly, I make sure I always have a beer in hand for flares up's.

Nothing like that here. I’ll have to keep an eye out next time I browse the meat section.

Looks Great, Joe!!
Every time I see one of those things I wonder "If you through that thing away, would it come back to you?":emoji_wink:
Yours Looks Fantastic!!
Like.

Bear
You nailed it! They do look like a Boom-A-Rang! It's obvious many know how to cook them to a very delectable bite. I've got to try Tri Tip again.

Nothing like that here. I’ll have to keep an eye out next time I browse the meat section.
Also known as the petite sirloin roast/ball tip roast.
Wet marinade them overnight in a Santa Maria marinade and they are just as good or better than tri tip in my opinion.
It's a leaner cut so you have to cook it rare to med. rare max.
They remind me of shoulder clod, but they are much more tender and they grill up really nice. One of our local bbq joints/ butcher shops sells just as many and maybe more of them, it's called Kinder's BBQ in Martinez CA.

Over this side the pond a TT is called "beef rump tails"...we get our meat from Bookers a local wholesale, now owned by Tesco. Talking to the master butcher a while back who knows we love our bbq'ing, asked "you do know you can get a tri-tip here? don't you" NO was my shocked response.

https://www.booker.co.uk/catalog/pr...ryName=CS18_201320&view=UnGrouped&multi=False

The first time which was only a few weeks back we bought 3, I've cooked 2 of them so far, last week we went and bought another 4. They are wonderful and so easy to cook, I must admit after reading about TT on the US forum I never thought that I would be able to buy over here.

Now I need to try the Santa Maria Rub Recipe that's on here....a couple of photos...
20190529_093716.jpg

IMG_20190530_171806208.jpg
We like to go light on bark, and I'm working on that when we go to events some of the meats are very heavy with it.
Ice

Xray that is a wonderful meal, And I am a big caprese fan as well. That's a hit for sure, Like. And congrats on the carousel ride.

Xray that is a wonderful meal, And I am a big caprese fan as well. That's a hit for sure, Like. And congrats on the carousel ride.

Thank you for the kind words AB. Caprese salads are a big hit around here.

That looks incredible. I smoked (and ate) my first Try Tip ever today. Man I am a huge fan!!! I have been known to screw up briskets, but this was fantastic.

Joe that looks great I have only made 1 tri tip way to expensive for me.Points
Richie

I have got a few Tri Tips on sale at Wegmans. But they very seldom offer them.
I usually just call my local butcher and have him cut me a couple. The last ones I got was 8.99 lb and they usually run about 2.5 lbs.

Joe that looks great I have only made 1 tri tip way to expensive for me.Points
Richie

Thanks Richie! I got a few TT for $6/lb by ordering from a local butcher shop. I wouldn’t pay much more though

I am seeing more and more tri tips with a single direction grain, and the shapes aren't quite right. I'm getting suspicious that meat that isn't tri tip is getting package and passed off as such.

I could see that being done here on the east coast where TT is relatively more expensive. Good marketing to take a cheap cut and make it more expensive and exotic.

I have got a few Tri Tips on sale at Wegmans. But they very seldom offer them.
I usually just call my local butcher and have him cut me a couple. The last ones I got was 8.99 lb and they usually run about 2.5 lbs.

I just checked my local Wegmans via app. $13/lb for Tri Tip....no way!! I would become vegetarian before paying that price again. I bought one last year at $11/lb just to try it because it was the first one I ever saw. This forum is great at getting you to spend your money!! Lol

Xray, did you put the mushrooms on at the same time as the TT? This looks like a GREAT meal and I have wanted to try my first TT.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Xray, did you put the mushrooms on at the same time as the TT? This looks like a GREAT meal and I have wanted to try my first TT.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Toconnor, the mushrooms take about 10 minutes on a hot grill. You could do this while the Tri Tip is resting. I always rest my steaks about 10 minutes before slicing.

Mushrooms are far better sautéed in a pan imho but when it’s hot out and I’m lazy, I think skewering them and grilling them gets the job done too. They’re also a little bit healthier since your using less oil/butter.

Here’s mushrooms that I did yesterday with some chuck roast burnt ends. Mushrooms were sprayed with olive oil, seasoned with Cajun seasoning and grilled. I brushed melted butter and minced garlic on at the end.
170D5612-4274-49E4-A4B8-57D82255CB2C.jpeg

7CBA4EE7-2984-4776-8BCE-491B637A9316.jpeg

Reactions: fullborebbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky