1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured My 3rd Tri Tip ever. Really digging this cut.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by xray, Jun 9, 2019.

1. That's how I just did one the other day. I used the Montreal seasoning overnight . Turned out very good. I think I did marinate it for a while with soy and honey with garlic and balsamic first. 20190602_191359.jpg
    Now we have a tri tip extension thread lol sorry.

2. Meats R Us

Meats R Us Newbie

3. Meats R Us

Meats R Us Newbie

Will definitely try that route.We are a butcher shop by ourself with the name of Meats R Us. Love to try this out.

4. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The reverse sear is awesome.
    Smoke with hickory, mesquite or maybe oak to 110°-115° and then finish on a screaming hot grill or cast iron.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:47 AM
  5. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Hey I don't mind there's a lot of good information being shared.

6. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Where are ya located meats?

7. xray

xray Master of the Pit

I have only done the reverse sear method with a dry brine in the refrigerator for a few hours with the ones I have done so far and they have been excellent!

If I could get them cheaper and TT were more readily available, I would love to try marinating them and also the brisket method Ray talked about....but for now it's hard to fix what isn't broken.

I usually marinate skirt and flank steak for fajitas and carne asada. Chuck roasts get a dry rub, smoke and then a braise in enchilada sauce before shredding. These cuts are available and cheaper for me locally.

8. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Wanted to tell you I made that caprese salad last night to go with some asparagus and grilled shrimp I did and it was excellent. The wife raved about it and even went back for seconds. Thanks for the idea

xray likes this.
  9. That salad did sound good.

10. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Realized I'm out of Tri-tip.
    Ordered two 15-20lb cryovac bags of Choice Tri-tip from my local butcher. 6-8 Tri-tip per bag at approx$5 per lb.
    That aught to hold me through the summer.

xray likes this.
  11. Very nice. We can get sales of $3.99 on occasion but $5.99 lb is the norm.

12. Gotta love the TT
    20190602_205407.jpg

xray likes this.
  13. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks for the kind words, it really is a great summer salad. It takes as long to make as to slice the ingredients.

The fresh tomatoes really make it shine. A good balsamic vinegar can take it over the top.

I have been using the store bought reductions anymore. I used to reduce my own but I got tired of reducing a whole bottle down to just a few spoonfuls. It was too much work for what the final product was. You could also take a cheap balsamic (less syrupy because they're blended with other vinegars) and add honey or sugar and reduce for a sweeter glaze.

Another good idea is to skewer cherry tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls and basil alternatively on wooden skewers and then drizzle with balsamic and/or olive oil for a quick appetizer for you or guests. I only use the oil when tomatoes aren't at their peak. When they're in season, I don't think the oil is needed.

14. xray

xray Master of the Pit

15. Lol :)

16. xray

xray Master of the Pit

All this food talk before lunch has me hungry. Ended up pulling a few cherry tomatoes from my plant and making a little something on my lunch break.
    42B61D93-4324-4AF0-854F-6C6D7BCB1617.jpeg

17. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

DANG! I wasn't hungry, and now I'm drooling!

xray likes this.
  18. Lovely:emoji_wink:

xray likes this.
  19. fullborebbq

fullborebbq Smoke Blower

We need a smiley with drool!!!!!!!!!!!! a big one :-)

xray likes this.
  20. xray

xray Master of the Pit

E21B40BB-6156-49B3-B9F5-477392CC07CD.jpeg