• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

More stuffed onions .

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Seems SmokinEdge SmokinEdge had some influence around here with some recent threads he posted . Had to jump on the stuffed onions .
Mix was 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck and 1/2 pound ground pork cushion . Had the chuck in the freezer , but since he also influenced me to make some hot dogs I ground the pork fresh .
My son is a really good cook . Great with sauces . This is a Swedish meatball recipe he got from a cookbook he has . He understands something about adding moisture and mixing meatballs that I don't . His are always tender and moist . So I had him mix up the filling .
There's onion , peppers , fresh grated parm , eggs , bread crumbs soaked in milk and heavy cream . I think some Worcestershire sauce .
House smells great when he makes this .
Hollowed out the onions and stuffed with the mix . Wrapped one piece of bacon on the outside . Just to protect the onion a bit .
Cooked these on the new pellet grill . Been using it all week . I really like it .
Here's how it went .
Onions all stuffed and ready to go . Had an extra broiler pan that works great for the
pellet grill .
20210801_165442.jpg
Made a foil ring to keep the onions plumb .
20210801_165447.jpg
New grill ready to go . This thing heats up fast .
I started at 250 .
20210801_174007.jpg
Already taking some smoke .
20210801_172350.jpg
Coming along real good . Bumped the temp up to 375 .
20210801_181524.jpg
Gonna call these done . Temp is at 160 .
Pull and rest while he mixes the sauce .
20210801_183407.jpg
20210801_184102.jpg
These took on just enough smoke . Nice color and flavor
That sauce he makes is addicting . Not sure what's all in it ,
but I know sour cream , Worsey sauce nutmeg and coriander .
Plated up with some egg noodles and homemade bread .
20210801_184811.jpg
Had a hint of a smoke ring , If you're into smoke rings .
Tender and moist , these are so good .
20210801_184835.jpg
These ate really good . Gonna be in the winter time rotation '
and I already asked him to mix up enough to do smoked meatloaf soon .
This was a fun cook and a good meal .
Thanks for lookin .

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Looks great! We defrosted the freezer over the weekend, found some ground bison, ground lamb, ground wagyu and some bulk chorizo. I also have 3 flavors of high temp cheese.... going to have to put my thinkin' cap on.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
Looks great , Rich. Great write up and looks perfectly cooked. The plated shot with the gravy is the star of the show!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Dang that looks Great !!
The Onion is even done enough for me to devour!
That Young Man did a Superb Job!!
MMMMMMmmmmm.............
Like.

Bear

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
And my "gotta try" list grows by one. Those onions you guys are putting out looks good. chopsaw chopsaw can your son can that sauce and send it too me? LOL.

Jim

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
They sure look good! Guess you're gonna have to keep your son around... he did good!

Ryan

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I like this idea alot! those look great!

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks delicious Chop!
Thank you . That meat mixture is fantastic .

Looks great!
Thanks . I was happy with the look .

We defrosted the freezer over the weekend, found some ground bison, ground lamb, ground wagyu and some bulk chorizo. I also have 3 flavors of high temp cheese.... going to have to put my thinkin' cap on.
Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 had a stuffed burger thread . Might be an option for some of it .

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Outstanding presentation - both your write up and the plated onions! Got to do that when things cool off a tad here in SC. And by cool off I'll take anything below 110°F and less than 100% humidity, at 10:00 am on my screen porch!!🍻
John

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
They sure look good! Guess you're gonna have to keep your son around... he did good!
Thanks Ryan . Yup . We even get along sometimes . LOL . We can butt heads , but if I need some help he's there .

I like this idea alot! those look great!
It's a fun cook , and one you can put a spin on .
I saw the post by SmokinEdge the other day , and I had to try it .

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
That's a great idea Rich. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it. How long did you cook those in your Pellet Smoker?
You know , I'm not sure . I baked the bread on there first , then cooled it to 250 and put the onions on .
I think it was a couple hours . Just cook by temp and don't get the grill to hot .

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
This looks nothing short of amazing Rich. Absolutely outstanding. you got the cogs turning and I'm thinking through a Mexican themed version of these using top wirloin and some authentic spice combinations. This is world class sir!!

Robert

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nicely done!
I gotta do these!
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.