More stuffed onions .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Seems SmokinEdge SmokinEdge had some influence around here with some recent threads he posted . Had to jump on the stuffed onions .
Mix was 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck and 1/2 pound ground pork cushion . Had the chuck in the freezer , but since he also influenced me to make some hot dogs I ground the pork fresh .
My son is a really good cook . Great with sauces . This is a Swedish meatball recipe he got from a cookbook he has . He understands something about adding moisture and mixing meatballs that I don't . His are always tender and moist . So I had him mix up the filling .
There's onion , peppers , fresh grated parm , eggs , bread crumbs soaked in milk and heavy cream . I think some Worcestershire sauce .
House smells great when he makes this .
Hollowed out the onions and stuffed with the mix . Wrapped one piece of bacon on the outside . Just to protect the onion a bit .
Cooked these on the new pellet grill . Been using it all week . I really like it .
Here's how it went .
Onions all stuffed and ready to go . Had an extra broiler pan that works great for the
pellet grill .
20210801_165442.jpg
Made a foil ring to keep the onions plumb .
20210801_165447.jpg
New grill ready to go . This thing heats up fast .
I started at 250 .
20210801_174007.jpg
Already taking some smoke .
20210801_172350.jpg
Coming along real good . Bumped the temp up to 375 .
20210801_181524.jpg
Gonna call these done . Temp is at 160 .
Pull and rest while he mixes the sauce .
20210801_183407.jpg
20210801_184102.jpg
These took on just enough smoke . Nice color and flavor
That sauce he makes is addicting . Not sure what's all in it ,
but I know sour cream , Worsey sauce nutmeg and coriander .
Plated up with some egg noodles and homemade bread .
20210801_184811.jpg
Had a hint of a smoke ring , If you're into smoke rings .
Tender and moist , these are so good .
20210801_184835.jpg
These ate really good . Gonna be in the winter time rotation '
and I already asked him to mix up enough to do smoked meatloaf soon .
This was a fun cook and a good meal .
Thanks for lookin .

Looks great! We defrosted the freezer over the weekend, found some ground bison, ground lamb, ground wagyu and some bulk chorizo. I also have 3 flavors of high temp cheese.... going to have to put my thinkin' cap on.

Looks great , Rich. Great write up and looks perfectly cooked. The plated shot with the gravy is the star of the show!

Reactions: chopsaw
Dang that looks Great !!
The Onion is even done enough for me to devour!
That Young Man did a Superb Job!!
MMMMMMmmmmm.............
Like.

Bear

They sure look good! Guess you're gonna have to keep your son around... he did good!

Ryan

Looks delicious Chop!
Thank you . That meat mixture is fantastic .

Looks great!
Thanks . I was happy with the look .

We defrosted the freezer over the weekend, found some ground bison, ground lamb, ground wagyu and some bulk chorizo. I also have 3 flavors of high temp cheese.... going to have to put my thinkin' cap on.
Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 had a stuffed burger thread . Might be an option for some of it .

Reactions: MJB05615
They sure look good! Guess you're gonna have to keep your son around... he did good!
Thanks Ryan . Yup . We even get along sometimes . LOL . We can butt heads , but if I need some help he's there .

I like this idea alot! those look great!
It's a fun cook , and one you can put a spin on .
I saw the post by SmokinEdge the other day , and I had to try it .

That's a great idea Rich. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it. How long did you cook those in your Pellet Smoker?
You know , I'm not sure . I baked the bread on there first , then cooled it to 250 and put the onions on .
I think it was a couple hours . Just cook by temp and don't get the grill to hot .

This looks nothing short of amazing Rich. Absolutely outstanding. you got the cogs turning and I'm thinking through a Mexican themed version of these using top wirloin and some authentic spice combinations. This is world class sir!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky