MoinkDonalds Balls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
[h3]Fixed Broken Links February 28, 2013[/h3][h3] [/h3][h3]Moinkdonald Balls[/h3]

8079703777_1c631651a5_z.jpg

What can I say... the name says it all!

This was one of those, lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, pop in my head kind of recipes

Hopefully I can get a more appetizing picture next smoke!

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground meat 80/20
  • 1 pkg lipton onion soup mix
  • ¼ cup ketchup
  • ¼ cup yellow mustard
  • ¼ cup chopped onions
  • ¼ cup coarse chopped pickles
  • 1 cup velveeta cheese diced (chill in freezer)
  • 1/3 cup of crushed saltine crackers

Preparation
  1. Saute onions and cool, mix all ingredients together and form into golf ball size meat balls.
  2. Refrigerate overnight, optional but suggested
  3. Wrap in a ½ piece of bacon
  4. Smoke until internal temp reaches 165°

* These should be made a day in advance or at least rest overnight in the refrigerator.

The flavor of these were great but I mad a few mistakes:

1) I used a lean meat when,I was at Sams Club I just grabbed a pack, checked the date and was on my merry way, I used a 90/10 and should have used an 80/20.
2) I believe I worked the meat too much when adding the ingredients .
3) when I smoked these on Frank , I made a 2 tier rack and placed some on the top tier and some on the bottom tier, the ones on top were in the direct path of the heat and were over smoked, overcooked and dried out, I had no choice but to throw them out. The ones on the lower rack were OK from a flavor standpoint, but the texture was not like I would have liked it.

So I learned a few things today especially about my smoker:

1) 90/10 is too lean
2) cook on the grate level ONLY!!

So you may ask yourself,  "well if they were that bad how the hell do you know it's a good recipe", well the answer to that is because I made hamburgers with some of the

other meat and the hamburgers were excellent and YES they tasted like a McDonald's cheeseburger.

I will be trying these again but will use an 80/20 next time.

8079697540_efb39f4d37_z.jpg

8079697744_28e9ac465f_z.jpg

8079697964_7464cb1f54_z.jpg

8079698168_9d0542fc27_z.jpg

8079705387_bba0302ea9_z.jpg

8079706315_41fe6380b1_z.jpg

8079706805_69c3647846_z.jpg

8079700310_11bfca40f7_z.jpg

8079697376_2dc4834712_z.jpg

8079703777_1c631651a5_z.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: fpnmf and jmk3921
Fantastic. Your Moinkies look fun for sure! 
icon_cool.gif
  Watch out the franchise might attempt to steal your idea and try and put them in a happy meal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe Sqwib, I might give them a go this weekend. I also like the way you labeled everything in the ingredient pic,nice touch!  I'm clueless how to do something like that.

Thanks for the recipe Sqwib, I might give them a go this weekend. I also like the way you labeled everything in the ingredient pic,nice touch!  I'm clueless how to do something like that.

Thanks

Right Click on picture- select "open with" - scroll down and select "paint" - use the paint tools for text - click "file" - "save as" - then under "save as type" select .JPG - under "file name" chose a name.

its quite easy

Those are some fine looking moinks.  Well done. Yeah for dream ideas!!!
Thank you, the taste was good but a bit dry due to the 90/10

However the hamburgers were excellent!

Looking good!

Craig
Thank you Craig

those look great sqwib,I'm with you on the 80/20. I sometimes add some JD hot sausage to them for a little extra fat, and kick

Yeah and what peeves me is I know better, when I realized it was 90/10 I should have saved it for jerky and got the right stuff (when purchased looked at the date but not the fat content).

Its silly when you think about it...you spend 18 hours cooking 4+ hours prepping 4+ hours cleaning, pulling, resting or whatever, but you don't have enough time to run to the store and get the right ground meat.

I am gonna play with some JD next time, and do a batch with chopped bacon "Bacon Cheeseburger Moinkdonald's Balls"

Thanks

Looks good, well done
Thank You

Looking good Squib - thanks for sharing
No problem and Thank you
Fantastic. Your Moinkies look fun for sure! 
icon_cool.gif
  Watch out the franchise might attempt to steal your idea and try and put them in a happy meal.
Yeah was a little worried calling the MoinkDonald's Balls
Nice job! I agree on the 80/20 too.
80/20 and maybe a bit of JD as Raptor700 said.

You are quite welcome Make sure its not too lean.

If anyone using this recipe for burgers they are a bit sticky when cooking, you may want to wrap the burgers in bacon and throw them on a grill.

icon_cool.gif

Well the balls look good.....................I don't think that I should be saying that.

HAHAHA!!! I saw the name u gave to these delicious lookin morceles and couldn't help but laugh. kudos to you sir for that name. and i think i will be trying these one day soon... possibly for the super bowl. 

Hey SQWIB...This was posted before my time. Sounds really good! Think I'll try it with a Chunk of Cheese surrounded by the meat and Bacon...JJ

Let me know how they turn out.

Nice to see an old thread ressurected

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky