Masterbuilt Electric Digital

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dooch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Leamington, Ontario, Canada
Just added this Badboy to my arsenal. Had a Bradley once, but had nothing but problems, pucks sticking, grease run-over when doing butts, etc. Like the features, drain, controls, etc. I have been reading reviews, and they looked pretty good, had $190.00 off online at TSC Store online purchase so took a chance. Seasoned, cured 20180209_140419.jpg 20180209_140445.jpg and smoking some salmon as I post.

Reactions: Steve H and SonnyE
That's the model I have. Right now it is smoking some dried beef from Bearcarver's S-by-S. As mentioned, pay no attention to the built in therms. And plan on getting an AMPS (if you don't already have one) so you don't have to try to rely on that stupid chip dumper thing.

Thanks guys, I have an ANMPS, gonna make the mailbox mod next.

Have you tried it without a Mailbox?
It's up to you, but I've used 3 different MES units over 9 years, and never needed a Mailbox, except for my Mail.

The AMNPS was designed to fit perfectly on the support rods to the left of your Chip Burner Assembly in a Gen #1 MES.

Bear

LOL.... what the bear said.

Congrats on your new smoker, enjoy!

I'm playing with my new MES 30 as we speak.
Got mine 2-8-18. Mines a solid door though. I felt I was use to letting the magic happen behind closed doors anyway, so opted for a solid door.
I also went sans the probe. I have a variety of thermometers as it is.
I'm testing the MES controller right now, learning where to set it for the correct temperature I'd like the box to maintain.
I'm planning on a mod to put the smoke in. Mine won't reliably burn chips yet, and I don't think it ever will to my satisfaction. I'm of the opinion the box needs its heater, and the chips need their own.
So planning to get an A-Maze-N pellet tray, and probably a Spicey Lime mod.

But I found an old steel router case that can work just fine as a "mailbox", and I have a pump strainer I made a bottom for. Right now I'm seeing how well the conglomeration burns pellets and some chunks out of the chips in a test. So far, so very good.
I still need some hose and fittings to connect. But I may have scraped together my mailbox.

So far, and my jury is still out, I set mine for 200 and it ran too hot. 225 -250+. So I took a shot in the dark and set it for 175 and bingo, bobbing around 200. So maybe I just need to figure out a scale for mine.
Or give Masterbuilt service a call.

I'm playing with my new MES 30 as we speak.

So far, and my jury is still out, I set mine for 200 and it ran too hot. 225 -250+. So I took a shot in the dark and set it for 175 and bingo, bobbing around 200. So maybe I just need to figure out a scale for mine.
Or give Masterbuilt service a call.

If You have to set it for 175° to get 200°, that's Great---You got a 25° bonus.
Now if you had to set it at 200° to get 175°, I'd tell you to tell them to take it back or help you fix it, because your maximum temp would be 250°, and you paid for a Smoker that can get to 275°.
Just don't let it go too much over 300°.

Bear

Reactions: SonnyE
If You have to set it for 175° to get 200°, that's Great---You got a 25° bonus.
Now if you had to set it at 200° to get 175°, I'd tell you to tell them to take it back or help you fix it, because your maximum temp would be 250°, and you paid for a Smoker that can get to 275°.
Just don't let it go too much over 300°.

Bear

I need to get a ThermoPro... :rolleyes:

Have you tried it without a Mailbox?
It's up to you, but I've used 3 different MES units over 9 years, and never needed a Mailbox, except for my Mail.

The AMNPS was designed to fit perfectly on the support rods to the left of your Chip Burner Assembly in a Gen #1 MES.

Bear
Thanks, will save me some time and money, next smoke with the AMNPS.

Thanks, will save me some time and money, next smoke with the AMNPS.

I've finally joined the ranks as a full blown convert, dooch.
I held out. Lord knows how I tried my ways.
But the AMNPS, for me, is the perfect answer.
I can use pellets, which are plentiful around me. Or make my own in my woodworking equipment which is mostly idle now.
I got an 11 hour burn on my break in run. Most likely due to the fact I dried the popcorn out of my pellets using daveomak's advice of using the smoker-oven as a kiln. Dryer fuel will burn a smidgen faster, I think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky