• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Maple Leaf Cottage Roll

NewBuilder

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 15, 2019
I use to love sliced Maple Leaf Cottage Roll on thick fresh bread and mustard, something we can't get in Alberta so I tried to make my own. My first tries were not very good.

I decided to try EQ brining and it turned out great. By weight, 30% water, 1.85% salt, 2% sugar, .24% cure, injected and cured for 16 days. I made two, steaming one of them and cooking the other in a dutch oven finishing it uncovered with a mustard / brown sugar glaze.

I'm finding as I get older my taste for salt is not the same as when I was younger. I found all information I needed to cure/smoke meat that meets our family's tastes came from this site.

Attachments

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Being a that us in the US don't see these in our stores I had to look it up to see what it is.
Thought that since it's called a Roll it'd be stuffed with something, nope.
So it's just a sweet cured/pickled boneless pork butt.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have a neighbor from Canada & he brings me stuff that I have never seen before. The steak seasoning & Montreal smoked meat from Lester’s is awesome. The only thing I don’t like is there is no ingredient list & no nutritional values. But so far everything he has brought me has been excellent! I’m sure it’s the same with this, you really don’t know what you are getting, but for me it has always tasted really good!!! And I’m still alive & kicking!
Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.