Maple Leaf Cottage Roll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewBuilder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 15, 2019
I use to love sliced Maple Leaf Cottage Roll on thick fresh bread and mustard, something we can't get in Alberta so I tried to make my own. My first tries were not very good.

I decided to try EQ brining and it turned out great. By weight, 30% water, 1.85% salt, 2% sugar, .24% cure, injected and cured for 16 days. I made two, steaming one of them and cooking the other in a dutch oven finishing it uncovered with a mustard / brown sugar glaze.

I'm finding as I get older my taste for salt is not the same as when I was younger. I found all information I needed to cure/smoke meat that meets our family's tastes came from this site.

Attachments

• Cottage Roll.jpg
    Cottage Roll.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Cottage Roll 1.jpg
    Cottage Roll 1.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 56
I have a neighbor from Canada & he brings me stuff that I have never seen before. The steak seasoning & Montreal smoked meat from Lester’s is awesome. The only thing I don’t like is there is no ingredient list & no nutritional values. But so far everything he has brought me has been excellent! I’m sure it’s the same with this, you really don’t know what you are getting, but for me it has always tasted really good!!! And I’m still alive & kicking!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky