MAKING AND SMOKING MOZZARELLA TODAY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
I am going to make another batch of mozzarella to smoke today with the help of my new AMNPS.

Stay tuned I'll be updating as I go

Thanks 

Gary

OK  here we go,  Had to make second batch of Mozzarella I messed up the first batch, Microwaved it too long,

Second batch perfect.  Bear with me this is my first Cold smoke and first time using my new AMNPS.

Decided to use my RF, flipped my charcoal basket upside down to set the AMNPS on, using their Wine Barrel flavored pellets 

Whole Milk for the mozz  and a couple blocks of cheddar and pepper jack

Rennet Tabs

1/4 tab  dissolved in 1/4 cup non chlorinated water

Citric acid    1 and 1/2 Tsp dissolved in 1 cup non chlorinated water

Trusty temp gauges 

Add the citric acid and water to pot pour in milk stir gently till it reaches 90 º

Temp coming up 

A little higher

It got to 90 º and I stirred in rennet, gently from top to bottom for 30 seconds

Cover and let sit for 5 min  (I left mine for 9 min  yo want it like custard.

I think it's there

Return to heat and very gently stir till it reached 105 º remove from heat and continue 

stirring very gently for 2 - 5 min.  I went 3

With slotted spoon remove curds from the whey 

I stopped taking pictures here because I was by my self.  Drain off all whey from the curds

by gently pressing the curds. Microwave on high for 1 min. more whey will come out

Cheese will be hot take the slotted spoon and then your hands and squeeze and kneading to 

get out more whey, you will feel the cheese getting ply-able  Microwave 1 or two more times

kneading each time. you don't want the cheese to get over 135 º  Stretch and kneed mix in salt 

while doing this

AMNPS sitting in smoker waiting it's turn

Nice and shinny

Cut into two pieces and in ice water for about 10 min.

Waiting to get smoked

On the smoker

AMNPS lit and puffing out smoke

More pictures and updates later on, Kinda neat watching TBS coming out of my RF  and No Heat 

Hey David  so far so good   b I'm getting ready to check the AMNPS at 4:00 PM  it has been going for two hours

Gary

That looks awesome Gary.

Remember to make more so you never run out.

"Citric acid    1 and 1/2 Tsp dissolved in 1 cup non chlorinated water"

So are we talking about creek water? Like with good whiskey?

That looks great...... Gotta try it! I love fresh mozzeralla. Give me a big slice of a Beefsteak tomato, a large slice of vidella or aggie 1014 onion, a slice of mozzeralla, some vinagar and oil........ ZOMG!!!!!

Looks great! You Da'man!

Any other kind !!

Gary

Nice Job, Gary!!
icon14.gif

That looks like some awesome stuff.
drool.gif
-------------------
points.gif

Can't wait to see how much you like it after 2 or 3 weeks and longer!!

That Wine Barrel Smoke has to be Great with cheese!!
drool.gif

Bear

Thank you all for the nice complements ,  I got all fired up after seeing so many cheese smokes, This is my first time so I am excited. Also first time using the AMNPS  that thing is fantastic, I was wandering through the house thinking of what else I could smoke. 

Thank's again

Gary

I also need to say that my RF did a fantastic job on the cold smoking. I flipped my charcoal basket upside down to set the AMNPS on opened my top and bottom dampers in the door and I couldn't ask for any better.

gary

Thank you CM  and for the point as well, I'm excited now. Wife is thinking Oh No he found more stuff to smoke

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky