MAKING AND SMOKING MOZZARELLA TODAY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
thanks gary.

that's what i planned, but i heard they gotta rest uncovered on the counter overnight before wrapping.

i have no idea how  important that is.

i tried making scratch mozerel but it failed completely.  i'm impressed you can do it. nothing like the taste of new mozerel.

I let mine rest 2 days in the fridge uncovered

Gary

Hey Foam, I better start smoking more cheese

Gary

In the fridge waiting 

Gary

It's hard enough to let it sit,  But you (Foam) have to keep reminding me !!!!   Hopefully I'll get my pork belly today

Gary

Rennet  /ˈrɛnɨt/  is a complex of enzymes  produced in stomachs  of ruminant  mammals  which is used in the production of most cheesesChymosin, its key component, is aprotease enzyme  that curdles  the casein  in milk, helping young mammals digest their mothers' milk. It can also be used to separate milk into solid curds  used for cheesemaking and liquid whey. In addition to chymosin, rennet contains other important enzymes in it such as pepsin  and a lipase. There are non-animal sources for rennet that are suitable for consumption by vegetarians.

Production of natural calf rennet[edit]

Natural calf  rennet is extracted from the inner mucosa  of the fourth stomach chamber (the abomasum) of slaughtered young, unweaned  calves. These stomachs are a by-product  of veal  production. If rennet is extracted from older calves (grass-fed or grain-fed) the rennet contains less or no chymosin  but a high level of pepsin  and can only be used for special types of milk and cheeses. As each ruminant  produces a special kind of rennet to digest the milk of its own species, there are milk-specific rennets available, such as kid goat rennet for goat's milk and lamb  rennet for sheep's milk.

Because of the limited availability of mammalian stomachs for rennet production, cheese makers have looked for other ways to coagulate the milk since at least Roman  times. There are many sources of enzymes, ranging from plants, fungi and microbial sources, that can be a substitute for animal rennet. Cheeses produced from any of these varieties of rennet are suitable for lacto-vegetarians  to consume. Fermentation produced chymosin (FPC) (see below) is used more often in industrial cheesemaking in North America and Europe today because it is less expensive and of higher quality than animal rennet.[sup][1][/sup]

Vegetable rennet[edit]

Many plants have coagulating properties. Homer  suggests in the Iliad  that the Greeks used an extract of fig  juice to coagulate milk.[sup][2][/sup]  Other examples include dried caper leaves,[sup][3][/sup]  nettlesthistlesmallow, and Ground Ivy  (Creeping Charlie). Enzymes from thistle or cynara  are used in some traditional cheese production in the Mediterranean. Phytic acid, derived from unfermented soybeans, or Fermentation-Produced Chymosin (FPC) may also be used.

Vegetable rennets are also suitable for vegetariansVegetable  rennet might be used in the production of kosher  and halal  cheeses but nearly all kosher cheeses are produced with either microbial rennet or FPC.[sup][citation needed][/sup]  Worldwide, there is no industrial production for vegetable rennet. Commercial so-called vegetable rennets usually contain rennet from the mold  Mucor miehei  - see microbial rennet below.

1.    Citric Acid  can be substituted  – it will adjust the acidity (lower the pH) of the fruit, which is what  you want to do. 1/4 teaspoon powdered Citric Acid  is equivalent to 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. 1 teaspoon powderedCitric Acid  is equivalent to ¼ cup lemon juice (4 Tablespoons).

Here is where I learned to make Mozz.  and bought my rennet from, citric acid I bought at the grocery store  Look where the canning stuff is

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Gary

Here is where I learned to make Mozz.  and bought my rennet from, citric acid I bought at the grocery store  Look where the canning stuff is

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Gary
Gary I was out shopping for a new Pasta maker and I found some Rennet will be doing a first soon. Thanks for the inspiration. The one I picked up is from Roaring Brook Dairy. They have a great video of how to do it.

Hey tropics, you wont believe how easy it is, be sure and let me know

Gary

I forgot to Post !!!   opened one of my Smoked Mozzarella's last Saturday   Man it was great,  Only problem I had is it just didn't last long. Wife made Lasagna Sunday and there went my cheese,

Gary

I forgot to Post !!!   opened one of my Smoked Mozzarella's last Saturday   Man it was great,  Only problem I had is it just didn't last long. Wife made Lasagna Sunday and there went my cheese,

Gary
I have to make more of the Mozz. so I can make a home made Lasagna from scratch (Pasta .Mozz. Ricotta.)

Made the Ricotta yesterday first time it is as easy as the Mozz. Thanks again for getting me started.

I'll have to try the Ricotta 

Gary

I'll have to try the Ricotta 

Gary
This is like ice cream almost very smooth.Here is the link

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/180901/fresh-ricotta

Oh I did blame you for getting me started.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky