• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Low Fat, low sugar, kick AS$ BBQ sauce

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 21, 2006
I've been working on this recipe for a while and think it's about right. Thought I would post it and let everyone give me some feed back. I wanted a hot, vinegary? and still sweet sauce that wasn't too terribly BAD for you :x . I know the sodium is still high but the sugars and carbs are pretty good for something with this much flavor. Try it and see what you think.

Rodger's kick as$ diabetic BBQ sauce,

1 C Catsup
3/4 C water
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP Canola Oil (or evoo)
3 oz (1/2 small bottle) Louisiana hot sauce
4TBSP Splenda brown sugar
1 TBSP Red Pepper (cayenne)
1TBSP Chili powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix first 5 ingredients together and then add dry ingredients. Stir well and then bring to boil and remove from heat. Cool down, bottle and enjoy. 8)

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Rodger, Great looking recipe and one that I'll have to try. It's kind of hard to find, but you could use reduced/low sodium catsup to bring the salt level down and I haven't seen a reduced/low sodium hot sauce yet but I'm looking. :P When I try this I may substitute the onion powder with 1/2 cup finely diced sauteed onion with a couple of cloves of minced garlic tossed in. Like my sauce with a bit of chunk to it. :D

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 21, 2006
Actually Dutch, my wife said the same thing about the onion. I great minds really do work alike :D .

icemn62

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 20, 2006
This appears to be a good sauce, how much bite does it have? I am diabetic, and the wife is regulated to no salt recently. it is hard to find things we can both enjoy. My son, would eat liquid lava, if I let him, but the women in my family prefer sweet. Then there is the grandson, and of course being only 2 years old, his palate is not yet developed.

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 21, 2006
Hey Ice,

If you cut the cayenne and black peppers in half it will be a little sweeter and less fiery. Also the catsup you choose to make it with should be a reduced sugar catsup (Heinz One Carb).

We'll have to wait and see on the Sodium. Dutch is looking for low sodium hot sauce and catsup.

willkat98

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 11, 2005
Heinz makes a no salt added Ketchup.

Gary, check out Healthy Heart Market for low to no sodium foods. I try this and that, then try and find the things I like and look around to buy them locally.

prplptcrzr2003

Smoke Blower
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2005
Splenda makes a brown version???? I have got to find me some. I too am diabetic and have used regular splenda in my sauce....but a brown version sounds great. Does it taste good? (That was probably a dumb question, but hey...I gotta ask). :)

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 21, 2006
The Splenda Brown sugar is a blend of regular brown sugar and Splenda. If you use it use half of the amount of regular brown sugar cause it is twice as sweet. Yes it tastes great.

smokin stang

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 15, 2006
I like the taste of it. I used it in Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. Sam's Club carries it.

mctrick

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 10, 2006
stang the photo of the engine is this the engine n your race car? Nice mill.

smokin stang

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 15, 2006
Mctrick,
The motor in my album is a 815 cubic inch Ford Hemi which my buddy runs in his pulling truck. It makes roughly 2000 ponies. The motor in my drag car is a 514 cubic inch Ford that makes 753 ponies.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.