Low Fat, low sugar, kick AS$ BBQ sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 21, 2006
Monroe, La
I've been working on this recipe for a while and think it's about right. Thought I would post it and let everyone give me some feed back. I wanted a hot, vinegary? and still sweet sauce that wasn't too terribly BAD for you :x . I know the sodium is still high but the sugars and carbs are pretty good for something with this much flavor. Try it and see what you think.

Rodger's kick as$ diabetic BBQ sauce,

1 C Catsup
3/4 C water
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP Canola Oil (or evoo)
3 oz (1/2 small bottle) Louisiana hot sauce
4TBSP Splenda brown sugar
1 TBSP Red Pepper (cayenne)
1TBSP Chili powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix first 5 ingredients together and then add dry ingredients. Stir well and then bring to boil and remove from heat. Cool down, bottle and enjoy. 8)

Rodger, Great looking recipe and one that I'll have to try. It's kind of hard to find, but you could use reduced/low sodium catsup to bring the salt level down and I haven't seen a reduced/low sodium hot sauce yet but I'm looking. :P When I try this I may substitute the onion powder with 1/2 cup finely diced sauteed onion with a couple of cloves of minced garlic tossed in. Like my sauce with a bit of chunk to it. :D

Actually Dutch, my wife said the same thing about the onion. I great minds really do work alike :D .

This appears to be a good sauce, how much bite does it have? I am diabetic, and the wife is regulated to no salt recently. it is hard to find things we can both enjoy. My son, would eat liquid lava, if I let him, but the women in my family prefer sweet. Then there is the grandson, and of course being only 2 years old, his palate is not yet developed.

Hey Ice,

If you cut the cayenne and black peppers in half it will be a little sweeter and less fiery. Also the catsup you choose to make it with should be a reduced sugar catsup (Heinz One Carb).

We'll have to wait and see on the Sodium. Dutch is looking for low sodium hot sauce and catsup.

Heinz makes a no salt added Ketchup.

Gary, check out Healthy Heart Market for low to no sodium foods. I try this and that, then try and find the things I like and look around to buy them locally.

Splenda makes a brown version???? I have got to find me some. I too am diabetic and have used regular splenda in my sauce....but a brown version sounds great. Does it taste good? (That was probably a dumb question, but hey...I gotta ask). :)

The Splenda Brown sugar is a blend of regular brown sugar and Splenda. If you use it use half of the amount of regular brown sugar cause it is twice as sweet. Yes it tastes great.

Mctrick,
The motor in my album is a 815 cubic inch Ford Hemi which my buddy runs in his pulling truck. It makes roughly 2000 ponies. The motor in my drag car is a 514 cubic inch Ford that makes 753 ponies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky