LLOOOONNNGGG Smoke ribs for my little girl

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spydermn

Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
So.... I was lazy today and set my S&S for 225* threw in a rack of baby backs and left for work (7:45am- 5:45pm). Came home wrapped them in foil and threw them in a 350* convection oven with apple juice while I was cooking potatoes and getting kids ready (about an hour). Pulled from the foil, put on a layer on Stubbs Hickory Bourbon Sauce and broiled under 350* broiler for a couple mins to get a little caramelization in the sauce.

The end result was fall off the bone but with a decent bite to the meat. Flavor was very good but the rub was not sweet enough for pork IMO. I am still working on it. The sauce was not right for the baby backs. Again to many big flavors and not sweet enough. I was also have temp control issues I need to fix. Temp on the dial said one thing but crappy thermometer said something completely different. Need to find a way to better monitor smoker temps.
Meat = 8.5/10
Flavor = 6/10. I am not throwing anything away and everyone else loves them but I am a critic and these was a lot of improvement opportunities.
DAABF854-A39E-4BB6-9235-436FC4B49CC0.jpeg
Starting out, quick rub and it it goes
44F9B67C-0D87-49DC-8639-9196B6AA43BC.jpeg
White smoke
25BA48CD-9D1D-415F-ABCF-1C993D5C372D.jpeg
1:30pm check. Boosted heat to 225*
148ACF7D-BA69-4068-BFDC-F08285997AD6.jpeg
5:45 pull to the oven
9AB5AB4D-AD38-48CB-861C-A2862515FAA8.jpeg
The pull
108B1EB0-6476-4347-9240-D0F788D4FFA9.jpeg
The sauced rack
2C974E8B-1F84-4E8D-B2F3-93A32D736D7B.jpeg
Smoke ring

I have never heard of such a thing lol.

Anyway what would you do different next time? You mentioned not sweet enough, what rub did you use?

For temp monitoring I use the inkbird ibt-4xs, it’s worked spectacular so far

I think your temp is way off if babys took 11hrs. How were you judging doneness? Spare ribs usually take me about 6hrs @ 225. Babys 5-5.5hrs. Like JJS I also have an ink bird 4 probe monitor (1 ambient, 3 meat). For sweeter you can sprinkle on some brown sugar with the rub, go easy don't totally cover them. Also try a sweeter sauce like Sweet Baby Rays (too sweet for me personally, I like tangy and heat). Be carefull of the broiler with that much sugar or you'll burn, I just let my sauce set for 20min or so on the smoker.

Like I said guys, I was being lazy. It turned out really well all things considered.

I am was using my basic rub I made I call my “stupid secret dry hump rub”. It was just not sweet enough. I will try adding some Brown sugar to it next time.

I am a chef and love to experiment. I do things no one else will do just to see how it tastes or how it comes out. Despite the long cook, it worked. If you always follow in everyone else’s foot steps you never see what is possible. Like I said it is kinda my thing to not do what everyone else does. I take others knowledge and expand on it. Sometimes it works sometimes is it **barf**

As for the sauce I am thinking sweet heat next time or maybe a mix of two to get the right flavor.

Also I was cooking to time not cooking to temp. I kept the heat as low as possible. I put the ribs on and left for work. Pellet smokers are wonderful things for the work week

FYI Monday night I cooked a whole (spatchcocked) chicken at 185* in the oven for 5 hours turning it up to 350*+convection for the final push to 165*. Turned out amazing. I know how food reacts to temp and time and I play with both to see what happenes

Ribs look great. Times are crazy but hey if it worked for you cant argue with the results! I've toyed with the idea of a vertical pellet smoker but not sure yet what I want to do for the next one

Not judging just trying to wrap head around that long of a cook. Was the only therm you used the one on the door? If so I bet you cooked well under 225. Wait, you said at 130 you boosted to 225 so you had it set even lower before that then right?

Those BB looks a lot like what I get here and these have far more meat on them. Easily 2-3x meatier that restaurant stuff. I get stuffed on 3-4 ribs. Very typical for me to need 8hrs+. Being the son of retired FD I can't say I advocate leaving the smoker unattended however. Pickup Jeff's rubs and sauce recipes. Killer stuff and great on ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky