lay cheese flat or stand on side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
Going to be smoking 60 8 oz. Blocks of cheese shortly, I've read in other threads where it's better to lay them flat rather then standing on edge,what's everyone's opinion on this, im using a mes30 and was thinking about standing on edges before I read this. I've smoked cheese before but never this amount. All input is welcome. Thanks

Going to be smoking 60 8 oz. Blocks of cheese shortly, I've read in other threads where it's better to lay them flat rather then standing on edge,what's everyone's opinion on this, im using a mes30 and was thinking about standing on edges before I read this. I've smoked cheese before but never this amount. All input is welcome. Thanks

Never really thought about it, but for some reason I would think the sides would get hit more with smoke, so I'd put the narrow side down.

Bear

I've always laid them flat, but I figured I could fit alot more in if I stood on edge, am wondering if I would get the same smoke coverage if that makes sense

I put mine on edge or end side. Less on the mat, more of the wider parts exposed freely to the smoke.
I use mats as well. I always figure the grate pattern is mine to eat. ;)

It doesn't make any difference IMHO.
Try some both ways and choose. o_O

The only time it did make a difference was a couple of times it got too hot. So the cheese was melting.
I have since fixed that mistake...
The only time I like melted cheese is on a Grilled Cheese Sammie, or Pizza.
(Or broccoli, or cauliflower, or Nacho's or....)

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I will have to look into the mats, although i never had an issue with grill marks or I never noticed

I do use the mailbox mod so thats probably why I don't get them, thanks again

SJ, I lay them on their side as you get more blocks on one rack ( i.e. less to clean!) I have done 42 blocks of 8 ounce cheese on two racks with room to spare.

Reactions: fivetricks
I do use the mailbox mod so thats probably why I don't get them, thanks again

You don't need them for smoking cheese. If you think you need some get some silicon mats, shop around and save some of your hard earned money!

I've smokes cheese both ways, didn't notice much difference. Place them on edge to get more on each rack.

I just did 6 8z blocks on a mes30 w mailbox mod. The coloring results on the blocks were so-so. I see no reason that stacking them otherwise wouldn't be better.

It certainly would help you to get more of them. If it was my cheese (money), I'd stack them on their sides.

Maybe do that ( the stacking of cheese) in the smoker because I envision a catastrophe trying to transport 4 trays of 15 blocks each to the smoker :)

Not to take away from the folks at Amazing but latch hook grids work a treat if cold smoking. A pack of 10 or 12 of them is a few dollars at WalMart. A single layer of cheese cloth also works. When done ball up the cheese cloth and toss it.

You're not taking away anything from anyone.
When someone tells you to buy q-matz ( or however it is spelled), without even addressing the original question, it is nothing more than a shameless plug.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm just going to put them right on the racks, sense I've not had a problem with marks.

I like the tray too, no doubt about it. He may be trying to help, but a further explanation of how using these mats to answer the original question woul be most helpful!

It is possible he didn't understand what I was asking I wasn't totally clear that I was looking for an answer on smoke coverage , he might of thought I was worried about the grill marks.anyway thanks again to all

I prefer to lay them down flat, but have had to put a couple on their sides when space was an issue. Personally I think you get better color from laying them down. I also have a grate for my WSM that is used only for cheese and other cold smokes so I don't get the black specs on the cheese.

Chris

You're not taking away anything from anyone.
When someone tells you to buy q-matz ( or however it is spelled), without even addressing the original question, it is nothing more than a shameless plug.

Oh Bill..... you are so smart... you knew I was plugging a great product... Thanks for all your wisdom......

.............Q-Matz prevents this...... It is a plug... For great smoked cheese...

upload_2018-11-6_2-49-21.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky