Camp Chef Woodwind 24 on the blink!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
So Im being pretty cool about this so far since I only had brats on it and they were pretty much done. However, if I had a brisket or a few butts or a Prime rib on it and it did this, I would probably have gone killer dozer mode!
So Im using it in its grill mode, and for whatever reason, it seemed to take a really long time to get up to temp. Probe 2 brats, get it close to temp and place the meat inside. Let them hit 110ish, decide to take a look and see about turning and left them for a bit longer. IT was 145ish, so i flipped them around accordingly because it seems there are hot spots just like every grill Ive ever had and closed the lid. At that time, I notice one of the probe temps on the monitor going nuts. 0,32,433,76,86,139 etc. I thought it might have been from the lead of it drooping down in the front near the lid where a ton of heat comes up from the edge of the shield. A little bit later, it just completely shut off. I was standing right beside it and heard it shutdown. I tried to turn it on several times but it wouldnt. I switched out extension cords and outlets and nothing. So at this point, I took the food inside and had to go get my son from team lifting. I get back and the monitor is back on. So i turn it of and try to turn it back on, which it try to then shut off or just blink or just not do anything. So I gave it a few minutes and it turned on for me. I set a 400 degree temp and it fired right up. However, when it got close to 350 ish, the (grill)temp on the monitor would jump from 364,404,397,345,405,386 etc It was all over the place.
Anyone have issues like this before? It is a $700 dollar smoker, that is kept inside at all times, I would to think it would last longer than than 2 years! Should I contact them or just break out kill dozer? I kinda wanna break out kill dozer.......Anyways, thanks for hearing my rant and I appreciate any input on the matter!
artworks-LtHmsjzsj5NW8KSH-FiE61w-t500x500.jpg

Last edited:
If would call CC to troubleshoot. My guess is bad probe or bad pellets.
Yeah, probably will! The probe part doesnt concern me, but it shutting off and the not wantint to come back on is a definite red flag! Kill dozer stuff!

Two things that come to mind…
One is does the temp censor for the grill chamber have any build up on it… like some creosote type stuff? Where it can’t sense the correct temp? Not sure on your model where that’s located… but worth checking out!

Two, you may have an intermittent bad controller?!

Just a couple thoughts, but I have heard CC customer service is top notch!
I personally have the 24” DLX with PID and have had no issues!

Reactions: Buckeyedude

They will keep sending you replacement parts till you fire up your dozer.

Two things that come to mind…
One is does the temp censor for the grill chamber have any build up on it… like some creosote type stuff? Where it can’t sense the correct temp? Not sure on your model where that’s located… but worth checking out!

Well, after calling them several times the day after I posted this and not reaching anyone, I sent them a message on their site. Automatic email back to me where I could fill in more information about my issue. They finally got back to me yesterday stating they will send a new PID. They just needed my info and a copy of my receipt( which I dont have) So hopefully this will work out okay!

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I went through at leas 3 controllers dealing with them. CC is good at coming up with good ideas but quality China control is worst.

Thats a shame to hear, I have an older Camp Chef lux36 and its perfect. No issues, plus dealt with customer service on a natural gas retro on my side burner, no issues. Hope the problem is rectified with the new controller.

Corey

So unfortunate, CC and others in that range seem to either work fine or are PITAs. For many with budgets it becomes somewhat of a crap shoot. In what I would loosely define as a mid-range option, Recteq seems to stand out as one of the better choices. Really haven't seen negative comments here on SMF from Recteq owners.

They won't send anything unless if I have a receipt. I bought it with cash over a year ago.......guess what...I can't find the receipt!

Put on Crags list and right off as learning experience. I had the propane side Buner and every year $100 in parts. Had Big Gas grill under car port that was complete loss in two years. NO MORE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky