lay cheese flat or stand on side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I found even keeping the smoker under 70F resulted in some cheese sticking to the grate a bit. Kinda looked amateurish to me. Qmatz put a nice crosshatch on the cheese and no sticking at all. Plan to try jerky, pecans, and other stuff with them too.

WRT to OP. I don't really think it matters how your orient it. 30lbs at one time though... I'd be batching it. Wish I had my cheese process perfected enough to even consider running that much. Last batch with dust has at least got me on the right path. LOL imagining the look on my wife's face with 60 blocks in the kitchen warming up...

Actually this was the wife's idea, she's doing a craft show here locally and suggested I should do smoked cheese.it not a problem doing 2 batches I just figured if I stood them on edge I could fit it all. That's where my question came from, I always laid them flat and always came out great, I wasn't sure if standing on edge would change anything.

If you stand them on edge, it increases the #'s/sq. in. on the bottom of the block.. Using a mat, the cheese will not sag regardless if the temp gets a bit too warm... I've used the matz forever for cheese... they are awesome....

It soesn't matter if it was on edge... If the smoker gets too warm, the cheese will sag through the grate...
Cut your losses ACE ......

Yo Dave!

You like to think you're q smart guy.

Please explain for the rest of us how q-matz are a solution to a problem that the op never mentioned.

Cut YOUR losses...

Now, run off and find some more food safety problems/recalls.

That is all.

Yo Dave!

You like to think you're q smart guy.

Please explain for the rest of us how q-matz are a solution to a problem that the op never mentioned.

Cut YOUR losses...

Now, run off and find some more food safety problems/recalls.

That is all.

I figured he didn't know cheese would melt through the wire racks if the smoker got too warm... I try to think out of the box and help folks make the best stuff they can, by trying to head them off at the pass before bad stuff happens...
It's all happened to me at one time or another... Just answering the primary question does not help them if B happens or C happens... Maybe they don't know B or C could happen... It's called, " doing my best to help members"...
I sorry you think I was just trying to plug a product....
Anywho, Amazin Products were invented, designed and built by Todd Johnson, and tested by members on this forum.... Todd is a valuable member of the forum and part of the Administrative team now.... What ever I can do to plug Todd's stuff
is fine with me and most long time members... Newbees don't get the family that has been created on this forum... We always try to help each other grow... learn stuff etc... That's what this forum is all about...
Perhaps you should have put more efforts into helping solve smoker jim's problem and less effort into attempting to belittle me...
Tell you what..... click on my avatar and click on the ignore tab....

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Just have to say I have learned so much from this forum and value every ones opinions .

Last edited:
Good day to smoke some cheese, decided to to do it 2 batches, first up mild cheddar and horsradish I1542270908.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky