Had To Cut The Cheese!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Yesterday, I asked my wonderful wife to take me to Bassham Foods, Cash'n'Carry Retail Outlet just off I-20 at Hemphill so I could buy some rounds of Colby Longhorn Cheddar to smoke. This morning I made two piles of 4 slices apiece and had to Cut The Cheese into ¼'s:

IMG_0087.JPG

Then, took them out to the smokehouse and placed them on A-Maze-N Matz (on two oven grates laid over smokehouse poles) and fired up my A-Maze-N pellet smoker full of Corn Cob pellets with a few maple hardwood pellets from A-Maze-N Products (www.amazenproducts.com):

IMG_0088.JPG

Couldn't get them all in on one photo, the two racks:

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

Let the smokin' begin! 8 am, 40° outside temp.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
When you get the chance to try it, let us know how it turned out.

Tomorrow is supposed to be between 50 & 55 degrees.

So I was planning on smoking up some cheese as well.

2lbs of mozzarella
2lbs of pepper jack
2lbs of Colby jack

View attachment 379554

View attachment 379555

My dad's store. He used crushed corn cobs from the grist mill; farmers would take their shelled cobs to the mill and get them ground. Dad would buy them in 100 lb. burlap bags and store them in a cool part of the cellar and use them for all his smoking. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...about-your-dad-smoking-with-corn-cobs.111151/
And now some of us are paying $20 for a 20 lb bag of wood pellets. Years ago, I worked with a German from Russia who was a POW here during WW2. Back in Russia they used dried blocks of manure to heat the home and the chimney had a flue in the attic for smoking hams and sausage. He said the hams were better than anything he could buy here.

Well Pops if you going to cut the cheese, that the preferred method. At least in our house. Looks like your starting out with some nice looking cheese. How long did you let it go for?

Chris.

About 8 hours total. The taste, as usual, was bitter; hence letting it mellow for 2 or more weeks. The last batch I did in June was just starting to get moldy when I did this batch, over 3 months.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky