1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Had To Cut The Cheese!

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by pops6927, Nov 2, 2018.

1. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yesterday, I asked my wonderful wife to take me to Bassham Foods, Cash'n'Carry Retail Outlet just off I-20 at Hemphill so I could buy some rounds of Colby Longhorn Cheddar to smoke. This morning I made two piles of 4 slices apiece and had to Cut The Cheese into ¼'s:

IMG_0087.JPG

Then, took them out to the smokehouse and placed them on A-Maze-N Matz (on two oven grates laid over smokehouse poles) and fired up my A-Maze-N pellet smoker full of Corn Cob pellets with a few maple hardwood pellets from A-Maze-N Products (www.amazenproducts.com):

IMG_0088.JPG

Couldn't get them all in on one photo, the two racks:

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG
    Let the smokin' begin! 8 am, 40° outside temp.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    crazymoon likes this.
  2. Scott Eisenbraun

Scott Eisenbraun Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Corn cob pellets? Interesting. I heard that in certain parts of the country, they smoked hams, etc, with corn cobs. What's the flavor like?

3. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

4. pops6927

5. ksblazer

ksblazer Meat Mopper

When you get the chance to try it, let us know how it turned out.

Tomorrow is supposed to be between 50 & 55 degrees.

So I was planning on smoking up some cheese as well.

2lbs of mozzarella
    2lbs of pepper jack
    2lbs of Colby jack

6. Scott Eisenbraun

Scott Eisenbraun Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

And now some of us are paying $20 for a 20 lb bag of wood pellets. Years ago, I worked with a German from Russia who was a POW here during WW2. Back in Russia they used dried blocks of manure to heat the home and the chimney had a flue in the attic for smoking hams and sausage. He said the hams were better than anything he could buy here.

7. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Well Pops if you going to cut the cheese, that the preferred method. At least in our house. Looks like your starting out with some nice looking cheese. How long did you let it go for?

Chris.

8. pops6927

About 8 hours total. The taste, as usual, was bitter; hence letting it mellow for 2 or more weeks. The last batch I did in June was just starting to get moldy when I did this batch, over 3 months.

9. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Pops, looks like some good cheese will be coming your way in a few weeks !