Kelvinator frige new build in process.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ziggy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi!

I sterted to strip the frige today. All frige components are removed.

The plan is to use PID control and 2600w 240V stove burner element.

Unfurtenatly my insullation is made of perforated paper, so I thinking to replace that with other insullation.

That how is look like striped.

heavy stuff. and plastic strips from door and inner front of frige.

this is that paper isullation about 2.5-3" thick

that is door isullation.

This the smoker I made , ready to go.

It came with two shelf. Did sombody said here that thay may prduce some toxic when heated? Look like they are nikel plated.

Any idea what isulation to use and how attach to walls?

I will be cutting buttom of the frige to install heat element , and mount flash. Certenly the paper would get on fire if not removed at least the battom part.

Thank you for any sugestion.

I will post picture as progress.

Ziggy, evening.... you are well on your way in a good project....   the shelves should be no problem as they won't get too hot.....  I think your element is a little overkill...   How hot are you planning to run the smoker ???  Dave

250F but in any weather, no waiting too long for warmup.

For this size smoker 24x14x32 how much vent do I need on the bottom? What size holes, how many ? and do the holes have to be located on both sides or just one side is OK? My top dumper will be 4"

Thank you

You only need a 3" stack on top on a electric smoker!  If u keep it air tight ur smoke generator will work with out the need of a air pump!  I have a 2" gate valve for fresh air intake on bottom!

Thank you for advice.

Do I need smoke defuser? I was thinking of shelf, made of sheet metal with drilled holes1/2 - 5/8 dia just above the smoker pipe.

I have a set of 3 catch pans in both of mine!  2 pans setting at same height and 3rd pan about 4in above other 2

first 2 set all the way to edges and 3 rd pan covers gap between bottom 2 setting 4 in higher! 

catches the grease and maakes smoke and heat swirl just like a old Koche smoke house

On the weekend I will take some pictures of the smoke generator, then I will post it.

Let me know what  question you

have about smoke generator.

When I was a kid (40+ yrs ago), I remember my uncle had an old refrigerator made into a smoker back in Bastrop TX.  I don't recall how it was all setup but I do remember the GREAT BBQ that came off of it.  In other words....you're gonna love this cooker!

WOW !!! ....  Ziggy..... It sure is one gorgeous smoker.... If if smokes 1/2 as good as it looks...  I want one.....    Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky