Is Berkshire Pork Back Fat Good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geostriata

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 18, 2021
California
So this is probably me not being used to pork (most of my processing so far has been beef), but I've been dabbling into pork more and more. Based on Marianski's claims that pork fat is superior to beef fat, I expected the move into pork to be awesome.... but I am finding the flavor a bit strong. Particularly the pork back fat.

So maybe it's me, or my method, or maybe it's the recipes, or maybe it's that my one and only source of back fat is not stellar: Berkshire Pork Back Fat. To help clear the culprit, I wonder: "Is this a good pork back fat to use?"

1713234548298.png

1713234565800.png

For what it's worth, here's my process:
1. Cut it into manageable 1" chunks when frozen
2. Put back into freezer to re-firm it up.
3. Only take out a small portion at a time from freezer to grind with lean meats.

I'm sure it's me or my method, but never hurts to check :)

So this is probably me not being used to pork (most of my processing so far has been beef), but I've been dabbling into pork more and more. Based on Marianski's claims that pork fat is superior to beef fat, I expected the move into pork to be awesome.... but I am finding the flavor a bit strong. Particularly the pork back fat.

So maybe it's me, or my method, or maybe it's the recipes, or maybe it's that my one and only source of back fat is not stellar: Berkshire Pork Back Fat. To help clear the culprit, I wonder: "Is this a good pork back fat to use?"

View attachment 694556

View attachment 694557

For what it's worth, here's my process:
1. Cut it into manageable 1" chunks when frozen
2. Put back into freezer to re-firm it up.
3. Only take out a small portion at a time from freezer to grind with lean meats.

I'm sure it's me or my method, but never hurts to check :)
Well you pigeonholed any comment with your lead up. So I’ll say that maybe your not a fan of pork, or maybe it’s flavor, that could be a thing. That aside, Berkshire fat is buttery in flavor and is delicious, at least to pork lovers.

Well you pigeonholed any comment with your lead up. So I’ll say that maybe your not a fan of pork, or maybe it’s flavor, that could be a thing. That aside, Berkshire fat is buttery in flavor and is delicious, at least to pork lovers.
Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to pigeonhole any comment. I should've just left it open-ended.

I was just worried someone in the forums might say: "oh that's not a good product" or "the part they use is not the best part of the backfat" or something like that. In which case, I'd spend some time finding another source instead of trying more recipes with it.

Glad to hear it's regarded as delicious, and I'll keep using it. Thanks!

The back fat is going to be a harder fat than belly fat and won't render as quickly. Berkshire is probably going to be more flavorful than pork from a commodity pig so that might be the problem. I personally have a lot of beef fat on hand from trimming briskets so I use that pretty often. I personally like beef fat, but I get why people would prefer pork. I'd try to source some commodity backfat. Butchers have it on hand. I try to buy pork butts with big fat caps and save what I trim off. Whole porkloins sometimes have fat caps you can trim off. My butcher sells back fat pretty cheap. Some of them will give it to you.

Reactions: geostriata
I Googled it. $50 for 5 pounds. Pretty pricy.
Yeah, I saw that too! Like $85 once you add delivery fees.

Fortunately, I found this from an "asian grocery delivery" site called "Weee!" (which I almost was certain was a scam at first, haha). This particular product was $5-6/lb.

I personally have a lot of beef fat on hand from trimming briskets so I use that pretty often. I personally like beef fat, but I get why people would prefer pork. I'd try to source some commodity backfat. Butchers have it on hand. I try to buy pork butts with big fat caps and save what I trim off. Whole porkloins sometimes have fat caps you can trim off. My butcher sells back fat pretty cheap. Some of them will give it to you.
Great advice, thanks! I'll try some commodity and compare.

I also have been almost exclusively using brisket for years, so your experience sounds similar to mine. Beef fat tastes good to me too! Trying to broaden my horizons a bit more and give this pork fat thing a solid try! :)

An update. Just made some hot links with this and they were great.

I'm thinking the culprit might just be that, for me, beef is better for my specific recipe of dry snack sticks. Pork fat in general seems delicious in sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky