Inspiration from GMC spring cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokinribsbbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
Charleston, IL
While going through the daily forum post with a cup of coffee in hand, I came across a post from GMC showcasing his talents. He mentioned how he enjoyed getting back outside to cook again. The sudden, two day joke of spring weather was all I needed to fire up the baby smoker. (Thanks, Chris)
After the morning reads and kickstart, I had only one thing on my mind, RIBS. So off to the local meat locker. Upon arriving, my favorite butcher informed me the only ribs they had in stock where Smithfields and the normal competition ribs. Now, not to judge the Smithfield, but they're not known for fantastic ribs. However, I havent bought from them in some time, so I figured I'd give them another shot. Grabbed a few racks and headed home to begin prepping.

After trimming the ungodly amount of tissue and/or fat. I wasnt thrilled. However, I do enjoy a good challenge, so I went for it. I grabbed my go to base rub (simple honey, garlic, onion, cumin, and a solid secret that Mrs. makes.). Wish I could tell you what's in it, but I truly dont know. 22 years together, you'd think I'd know by now. The base layer was just that. A thin layer just enough to produce a good sweet aroma. The secret rub, was smothered and covered. (No, not like waffle house)

With the base rub applied, I turn to our teams very sweet and mildly tangy rub. I decided to add some heat with my homemade smoked habanero's that were left over from last years harvest. I had to remind myself not to go to heavy (as I normally do) do to the kiddos. With the rub applied, into the ice box it goes over night to enhance the bite.
20190329_133719.jpg

After checking the weather for the following morning, it seems as though our spring in central Illinois would last for one more day. In this rare weather condition, I couldn't help to think that baby smoke hasn't been used in month. Now would be the perfect time for her to make a come back.
The following morning arrived. While I anticipated a warm morning (43 degrees) I was stunned to see the tempature at 52. I pulled the ribs from thier hotel room and allowed them to wake up a bit. Baby smoke was pulled from her resting place and began warming.
20190329_134021.jpg

As baby got to her perfect temp of 230, which she really enjoys that tempature for some reason. Maybe it's the insulated panels that line her insides. It was time for the magic show.
20190329_134435.jpg

The Smithfields make thier way into the best, last place, they could ever end up.
20190329_134856.jpg

As baby smoke does the best she can do, it's time now to enjoy the weather that I so long desired for. With the girls out back chasing the chickens, the older two jumping on the trampoline, I grab my favorite rocking chair and face it out towards our main pasture. As I watch the pigs graze through thier side of the main pasture, (yes we spoil them, better meat :) ) I happened to notice a few deer way in the back. Finally, after months and months of cold weather, spring felt close.

After a quick snack inside for all the kids, a quick temperature check was needed.
20190329_151116.jpg

Baby smoke was sitting right where I needed her to be. Just over an hour to go before the magic happens.

After 2 hours and 6 mins. Please dont ask why 6 mins, that's just the way I was taught and have done so for over 25 years. The bend and wipe test was competed. They're darn near perfect.
20190329_153237.jpg

Now for a bit of magic. Some light, dark brown sugar, heavy blue bottle squeeze, apple cider, and of course a bit more of the ole lady's secret rub, face down into thier respected foil packs and back into baby smoker.

As some time passes, (an hour and 6 mins) the ribs are sitting at a healthy 176. Which is a bit lower than I'm used to. Normally, they come out of the wrap at 184-186. So back into the smoker for another 20 minutes. Pulling them out the second time just felt better than the first. I check the temp, and sure enough 184. Perfect! Time for mango heat glaze.
20190329_170615.jpg

Back into baby smoker they go for thier final voyage. After setting them in thier respected place, I got to wondering why the extra time was needed while in thier sweet buttery goodness bath. The answer was in front of my face on the table. I had used regular foil instead of heavy duty. At least that's what I came up with.
After and hour and 6 mins. It was finally time to check and see if the transformation was complete. I was dead on at 203. I like to pull my ribs at that temp because, the time I get them inside, grab my knife, towel, and of course some plates, the ribs are sitting at 205. I'm not a pull of the bone type guy, although I do expect my bite to come off the bone.
20190329_174655.jpg

Just as I hoped and have done a thousand times, knife in hand, I carefully make my first cut. Although I am still not a fan of Smithfield ribs, I certainly gave these ribs a run for thier money.
The juice ran true, the sweet and tangy rubs, combined, made a very interesting palatable bite.
20190329_175210.jpg

Although the food was fantastic, that was my entire point to this post. This was my way of thanking gmc, for sharing his "spring" cook. The small things that one can do, can surely inspire others to relax and enjoy good food. Thanks again gmc.

No problem Smokin, and your ribs put mine to shame. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you, gentleman. Humo, I am open to any suggestion that you or anyone else has to pry that rub from my wife's mind. I've tried for years and have nearly given up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky