I wasn't smoking meat...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vlap

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 17, 2007
Bradenton, Florida
I was smoking the drag on my reels.

This weekend I tried something new in the way of fishing. I have always been an inshore fisherman and never ventured out into the open gulf. Saturday morning I along with 2 good friends ventured out into the gulf looking for kingfish. The kingfish is among the fastest fish in the ocean. Which I learned the hard way as the first strike resulted in a hookup and 5 seconds later 120yards of line had been stripped from my reel leaving me with only a small bit of line still tied to the spool. I got spooled! :o :o :o All the fish I have caught before have never done that to me. I was amazed.

Later as I was trolling I got another hookup on my heavy rod. Drag started to scream and it was on. It was a battle to bring this fish back. A king is able to make drag burning runs for long distances and even when not running they pull hard. After an extended fight which included the king trying to pull me out of my boat I finally succeeded. I landed my first Kingfish!

Yes I am holding that fish away from me. It was still struggling and after looking into its mouth full of razor sharp teeth I wasn't going to allow it near me. After the photo it thrashed its way out of my grip and landed in my lap. :o That was fun >:(

Later on another hookup while the drag was screaming the fish managed to get past my steel leader and cut my 80lb leader. Yikes!

2 days of fishing 3-4 hours per day in tough conditions resulted in 10-15 kings and many spanish mackerel landed. My body feels the constant paddling over 2 days and is not happy with me. I am beat and glad the work week has started so I can get some rest. I will, however, be out there again both days next weekend chasing the kings again. This is the start of the fall run and the big ones are not here yet. I can't wait.

A few more picts.

Phinla with his very nice King!

Mark playing with his shark.

The successful return to the beach.

That is awesome!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
I am just amazed you go out into open water in that little thing, I would be scared to death.

Very cool Vlap I can't wait for them to move a little farther north so I can play too
biggrin.gif
Nice pics and nice fish
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

People in st pete are getting them and I have heard reports of areas as far north as honeymoon island area also getting kings...

Nice Nice Nice!!!! Looks like you had a great time. Did you take your kayak out in the gulf over last weekend? It must have been a bit rough and I bet your arms and shoulders are sore. I want to get one and fish Fort Desoto area, but none of my friends want to have to paddle.

I haven't hooked a King in a long time, I use to work part time in the summer of 84 on a long line boat out of John's Pass and Kings were a lot of work.

Kings are great tasting fish too, how are you going to prepare it?

EDIT: Holy crap, you went a mile out in the Gulf? I never liked taking my 18' Aqua Sport CC out more than a mile.

Cool pics
icon_smile.gif
. It is something to go after fish that challenge your gear. We did a lot of Bluefin Tuna fishing and it gets the adrenaline pumping when you hookup. The first few minutes in usually determines the outcome..lol.

When I see pics like yours it makes me miss it. Good to hear you had a great day on the water
icon_smile.gif

Yea and I took my boat to north Florida last trip up
bang.gif

The east wind kicked my behind no doubt! It was a bit rough and after 2 days of it I was exhausted and incredibly sore. I am finally today starting to feel better.

Vlap, I still say you have it made.
cool.gif

Looks like you had a wonderful time. Glad the sharks didn't get ya. lol
biggrin.gif

Man, you need to get a boat
icon_exclaim.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif
Looks like you had a great time.

Yea, I'm reminded of the line from Jaws when they first see Jaws ....

"Gonna need a bigger boat"

I am happy with the boat I have! Its more of a challenge and a very different experience catching fish like that from a kayak. Although last year when I hooked into a shark that was 2/3rds the length of my kayak I was saying the same thing. Well after a lot of curse words that is
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I plan on keeping one next sat. I haven't smoked a king before or made dip from them. Any tips or recipes?

The big Kings should arrive somewhere in the next few weeks. The weight will jump from 10-15 lbs to 20-50lbs. Most will be in the 20 range but a true smoker can get as big as 50. That will be a blast!!!

Also I am taking the fly rod along this weekend. I would love a fish like that on my 9 weight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky