My wife is one of the founding members of the burnt meat club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
LMAO 🤣
Funny anecdotal story...
Used to have a smoke detector that was badly placed, likely hypersensitive too, it was 20 feet away from the kitchen area and placed on the wall a foot below the ceiling line.
90% of the time I fried something it went off, even heating a CI to barely smoking set it off.
Everyone in earshot would holler, "John/Daddy is cooking!!!"

And it seemed to disfavor me especially, my wife seldom set it off, even when frying salmon patties.
I finally destroyed it one night in an effort to shut it up.
Replaced it and haven't experienced the same problem.
Same, got one right around the corner from the kitchen. Even the toaster, just starts getting hot and that damn thing would go off.

My wife was in that well done club when we first met. Took me a couple years to convince her that anything past med rare only got tougher. Now only time she ask for medium is when we're out and she's getting a burger.

Reactions: dr rat
Ha Ha , I hear you on all of that.

Mona is a good cook , she just likes it too well done . And like Ray N Nefarious said .
The running joke here is when the smoke alarm goes off supper is ready. She gets it honestly.

Now that her mom ( 87 ) is living with us. She cooked ground hamburger for a meal she wanted to cook for us.
Well the burger was like hard burnt split pea size pieces. It was hard to smile and chew that meal . But I did.

David

So I’ve always known my wife was a member of the burnt meat club she likes her steaks, tri tip you name it well done always been able to kind of walk the line and cook mine the way I like and hers the way she likes. This week I realized she is a founding member!
I was doing my sausage mixup this weekend and I had to run to the store took longer than I anticipated I called her to check it and pull it if they were done or cover them so she said no problem. I got home a bit later and she said she covered them and they’re perfect and for me to pull from the grill. So this is what I have. View attachment 692215Luckily I had 2 pans as I was trying a new rub on them So mine vs hersView attachment 692216
my wife is an awesome cook. mostly wok-master (Asian) and Italian. I do all meat other than stir fry which is basiclly well-done but shredded. smoke is usually once a week mostly weekends.
There has been i time of two I had to put her steak back on for a minute. I like mine to moo.

I feel your pain- dealing w the same here. When the steaks or burgers are done I just cook hers another 10 or so - it’s hard to do
I usually fail at getting my wife‘s right because I can hardly bring myself to cook burgers and steaks to that level Of over cooked that she likes.

I usually start hers before mine by a margin, but it gets to my head, it’s like I almost cant do it. Even when it temps out right, it’s too soon…. I swear, something is broken in those who dont like beef medium or MR.

Glad to hear others are in the same boat with me.
My wife wants no pink at all along with absolutely no fat.
I trim everything off her steaks, start hers and I do not put mine on until I have flipped hers over.
I have shown her publications, reviews, everything where it talks about a steak being shoe leather past 145 and she still wants it brown inside.
It took me years to finally get her to eat a filet mignon that I left some pink inside. She was sure she was going to get food poisoning.
Now she will put up with some pink meat but absolutely no reddish-brown juice running out of it....baby steps.

OMG if my wife sees any juice/blood she stops eating and her meal is over. It’s so bad. While I love the bloody juice!
Same boat here. I cook wife's until I would think of eating it and then put mine on so I have no pressure to pull hers early. I tried to tell her in California they have warnings that it is carcinogenic.

OMG if my wife sees any juice/blood she stops eating and her meal is over. It’s so bad. While I love the bloody juice!
Yeah, I can relate. My wife even loses her appetite if someone else at the table is eating anything with a hint of pink in the middle.

Yeah, I can relate. My wife even loses her appetite if someone else at the table is eating anything with a hint of pink in the middle.
LoL Years back at a local steak house. Table next to us placed their order and all of them ordering well-done some saying to burn it.
Well when our meal showed up wife and kids. Three med-rare and one rare. We start eatin and mopin up red gravy with rolls. Well next table starts gaggin and hollering to be moved with some saying I cain't eat now. My 9 yro son looks up holding a dipped roll and ask why they asking to be moved? Beer almost came out my nose.

LoL Years back at a local steak house. Table next to us placed their order and all of them ordering well-done some saying to burn it.
Well when our meal showed up wife and kids. Three med-rare and one rare. We start eatin and mopin up red gravy with rolls. Well next table starts gaggin and hollering to be moved with some saying I cain't eat now. My 9 yro son looks up holding a dipped roll and ask why they asking to be moved? Beer almost came out my nose.
LMAO!

That is hilarious!

I used to like it rare, like warm.
And I've actually used these lined in steakhouses.

Knock the horns off,
wipe it's arse and trot it on over.

Bring it out, I'll cut off what I want and ride the rest home.

Rare as a Virgin in a whorehouse.

Still bleeding, moo'ing and mad.

Last edited:
I like Pittsburgh Rare or Blue.
But I rarely even try to order it.
Simply because most places don't know how to do it right or don't have a hot enough grill.

I really like Texas or Cowboy style.
Basically a 1.75"-2" thick steak, burnt charcoal on the outside and rare to med-rare on the inside.
I've only found two places that could ever do it.
Takes an intensely hot fire to do it right.
Live coals with open flame leaping.

I can do neither, so it's usually med-rare and a nice crust for me.

Reactions: sandyut
LOL, oh man, great replies.
Best experience I had with my wife was prime rib.
Nobody else in our family will eat it..
So I cook it up nice and rare, slice a 2-3 inch slab off, plop it on my plate with a baked potato and start going to town. Rest of the family is having something I could care less about. My wife looks at my plate, gets up, walks out to the kitchen and grabs four cereal boxes, stacks them around the part of my plate that she can see and then turns slightly away so she can't see me shoving the chunks of red meat into my mouth.

Guessing some wouldn't appreciate me eating ground round on a cracker with raw onions. And yes, the ground round is raw... dang, now I have a craving!

Ryan

My wife always asks me to "burn" hers. I just can't do it.

gordon.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky