• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Howdy from Texas

toddk63

Joined Jul 3, 2020
Hi. I am Todd from Texas. I have been smoking about 35 years, live on a mountain ranch outside Houston, have an oil well, a horse...well at least the 35 years of smoking is true. I found you guys when I was looking for tips on grinding brisket for burgers. I belong to lots of other BBQ forums and was surprised that I was not registered here yet. It looks like a great site.

millerbuilds

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 13, 2013
Todd,
Welcome to SMF from North Texas. Lot of great people in this group.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Welcome from Central Texas!! You've found a great site with more resources than you're likely to find any place else.

Robert

toddk63

Joined Jul 3, 2020
I'm a newbie and sure feel stupid in here. I feel like I smoke good meat but also feel like it's a constant battle with my temps and with a Weber Smokey Mountain, it shouldn't be
Glenn, Have you tried sand in the water pan instead of water. It acts as a big heat capacitor to smooth out the ride. I pretty much leave the top vents full open and regulate temp with the three lower vents on a WSM. That said, today I removed about half the sand from the pan to make more room for some water.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Todd, welcome to SMF from NorCal. Glad you're here and bringing the howdy. When I was stationed in South Texas, I brought an Aggie home with me. Heck, they were practically giving them away.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Welcome from Ohio Todd. This is one great place you stumbled on.

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Welcome to SMF from Fort Worth, Tx! Dion't hesitate to ask any questions! PLEASE! That's the only way that you will find out! And WELCOME!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome aboard!
We have a bunch of great guys on here!
Al

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Welcome Todd !!
Like was already said, "Don't be afraid to ask questions".
I've been on this forum for 10 years now, and I answer a lot of questions.
However now and then somebody asks a question I can't answer, so I sit back and wait for somebody to answer, so I can learn too.
So your question could be helping an old guy like me to learn something!!

Bear

Smokin' in AZ

Master of the Pit
Joined Jul 13, 2019
Welcome from Arizona!

Great Group of knowledgeable folks here and love to help.

John

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.