Howdy from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toddk63

Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Hi. I am Todd from Texas. I have been smoking about 35 years, live on a mountain ranch outside Houston, have an oil well, a horse...well at least the 35 years of smoking is true. I found you guys when I was looking for tips on grinding brisket for burgers. I belong to lots of other BBQ forums and was surprised that I was not registered here yet. It looks like a great site.

Welcome from Central Texas!! You've found a great site with more resources than you're likely to find any place else.

Robert

I'm a newbie and sure feel stupid in here. I feel like I smoke good meat but also feel like it's a constant battle with my temps and with a Weber Smokey Mountain, it shouldn't be
Glenn, Have you tried sand in the water pan instead of water. It acts as a big heat capacitor to smooth out the ride. I pretty much leave the top vents full open and regulate temp with the three lower vents on a WSM. That said, today I removed about half the sand from the pan to make more room for some water.

Welcome to SMF from Fort Worth, Tx! Dion't hesitate to ask any questions! PLEASE! That's the only way that you will find out! And WELCOME!

Welcome Todd !!
Like was already said, "Don't be afraid to ask questions".
I've been on this forum for 10 years now, and I answer a lot of questions.
However now and then somebody asks a question I can't answer, so I sit back and wait for somebody to answer, so I can learn too.
So your question could be helping an old guy like me to learn something!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky