How to make your own spreadable butter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
20201030_214548.jpg

My wife likes spreadable butter with olive oil and sea salt. When my local grocer started charging $5-6 per 13 oz container for her favorite brand, I decided to make my own with ingredients I like. After I perfected my recipe, we tried her favorite commercial brand again and it tasted flavorless. Total time to make 16 oz of spreadable butter is about 5 to 10 minutes prior to refrigerating. It's so easy and better than what you can buy.

Notes: if using unsalted butter, change sea salt to ½ tsp. Any butter will work, but Kerrygold gives the best flavor. The salt and sugar in the recipe are purely flavor enhancers and can be omitted. Do not over salt or the butter will liquify.

Do not use extra virgin olive oil because it overpowers the butter flavor. Only use extra light olive oil. Canola and vegetable oil also work but the final product has a little less flavor.

Cost with Kerrygold (Costco) and Bel O'lio Extra Light Olive Oil (also Costco) is about $4 per 16 oz of spreadable butter. Other butters and oils reduce the cost. Costco's Kirkland butter and the oil works well, too, and cuts the total cost to less than $2 per 16 oz of spreadable butter. I can't tell the difference, but my wife can. So, you know...HWHL.

Spreadable Butter with Sea Salt and Light Olive Oil
Ingredients
8 oz Kerrygold salted butter
8.5 oz extra light olive oil
¾ tsp white sugar
¼ tsp fine sea salt

Directions
Soften refrigerated butter in the microwave at power level 3 for 55 seconds (your microwave may differ). Do not melt! You can also just put the butter on the counter for 20 minutes to soften.
Add softened butter to the blender jar.
Add the oil. Hold the measuring cup over the blender and fill the cup until it just starts to spill over, then stop adding oil and dump the cup of oil in the blender.
Add the salt and sugar.
Blend at low setting for 50 secs to 1 minute. The final mixture should look smooth and creamy.
Pour and scrape with a spatula into two one-cup reuseable containers with covers and chill for several hours to overnight before use.
Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Do not leave on the counter as it will liquify.

Interesting! Never would have guessed it takes that much oil.
But you are right ... have been getting the Land O Lakes spreadable, and not impressed by its flavor.
Just about anything homemade beats store bought.

Sounds good! Have to put this on the to do list, or maybe my wife's...hers is shorter than mine! Thanks for sharing

Ryan

Reactions: noboundaries
Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome. I threw together a batch yesterday and thought someone might be interested.

Interesting! Never would have guessed it takes that much oil.
But you are right ... have been getting the Land O Lakes spreadable, and not impressed by its flavor.
Just about anything homemade beats store bought.
You can use a little less oil but it starts to lose the spreadability. I have used more oil, like 10 oz, but didn't care for the mouth feel and texture. That slightly more than 8 oz is a nice spread, texture, and taste.

And, yes, the Land o' Lakes was my wife's favorite.

Sounds good! Have to put this on the to do list, or maybe my wife's...hers is shorter than mine! Thanks for sharing

Ryan
You are welcome, Ryan. It takes longer to make oatmeal or Cream of Wheat than it does to throw this together.

Thanks, my Daughter likes LAND O' LAKES. Me, I grew up in the 60's and 70's and was force fed Imperial and Blue Bonnet Margarine. I can't stand the flavor of anything but good quality Real Butter now...JJ

Thanks, my Daughter likes LAND O' LAKES. Me, I grew up in the 60's and 70's and was force fed Imperial and Blue Bonnet Margarine. I can't stand the flavor of anything but good quality Real Butter now...JJ

JJ, you should make a batch and put it in a clean LoL container and see if your daughter notices a difference.

I grew up on margerine also. It will NEVER touch my taste bud's again. I'm also real butter fan, not only for morning toast, but for cooking. If I'm going to slap a jam or jelly on the bread, the spreadable is fine for me.

I've been making the spreadable for at least three years. I went about a month before the above batch to see if I could convert my wife back to butter. Nope. She wanted the spreadable. HWHL.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thank you for posting this. There are sometimes that I like spreadable butter.
But there are sometimes that I like cold hard butter, like on a French baguette or on Challah bread. I even like cold hard butter on pancakes, waffles, & French toast!
Call me crazy but I like cold hard butter!
However if I’m making garlic bread, then of course the spreadable butter would be the best option, or even on a steak It would be the best!
Al

Ahhh, butter. So good. I've tried lots of different kinds over the years. Not crazy about the tangy French butter, and I've made my own only once using a blender. It was good but didn't save any money. Guess I need to get to know somebody with a cow.

The spreadable does work well on garlic bread. I like to leave it on the counter for about 5 - 10 minutes, then mix in the garlic, cheese, and spices.

We just leave butter on the counter at all times. Always spreadable. Always real. Always butter.

No effort and only $1.99 for 16oz if you buy on sale.

Jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky