How Do You Know When You’re Getting Old?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If it weren't for all the aches, pains, and forgetfulness, I'd swear I was getting younger. I wake up without a schedule and can sleep as late as I want. I receive a monthly allowance. Have chores around the house. Fill my time with my imagination. Have homework in my favorite subject of writing and get red marks on papers from the lady who lives here after she reads them. Now, it I could only remember her name.

I'll be 59 one week from today. Throughout my illustrious career and 8 years of playing sports, I've managed to break almost every bone in my body, some twice. Some days I really feel it and other days I feel like I'm 25. The mind keeps telling me to GO FOR IT but the body rebels. Tracy reminded me a few days ago that my kids are pushing 40. YIKES!! I never think about them as adults growing older. They are now and always will be my babies. The comment by Tracy really put things into perspective, although I see it in the mirror every morning. I will say this though: getting old beats the living Hell of the alternative of dying young, so Ill take getting old any day. Cool thread Bear.

Robert

When the barber spends time trimming your hair in your ears and you have to trim your nose hairs weekly.
When you're careful getting in and out of the shower.
When people are wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip flops and you're still in a sweatshirt.
When you're ready for bed at 9:00.
When you have a fatty ribeye and wake up in the middle of the night burning up.
When an ex co-worker turns 50 and says she feels old and you just turned 68.
When you sell your motorcycle because wrestling a 600# machine makes you nervous.
When minding an offset smoker at less than 60F doesn't sound like fun.
When baking bread is exciting.
When your 9 year old granddaughter is all of a sudden 18.. keely.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
Old Age

On the first day, God created the dog and said, "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years."
The dog said, "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?"
And God saw it was good.
On the second day, God created the monkey and said, "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."
The monkey said, "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the dog did?"
And God, again saw it was good.
On the third day, God created the cow and said, "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years."
The cow said, "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"
And God agreed it was good.
On the fourth day, God created humans and said, "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years."
But the human said, "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back,
the ten the monkey gave back,
and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"
"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."
So that is why for our first twenty years, we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves.
For the next forty years, we slave in the sun to support our family.
For the next ten years, we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren.
And for the last ten years, we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.
Life has now been explained to you.
If you are looking for me I will be on the front porch...

Old Age

On the first day, God created the dog and said, "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years."
The dog said, "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?"
And God saw it was good.
On the second day, God created the monkey and said, "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."
The monkey said, "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the dog did?"
And God, again saw it was good.
On the third day, God created the cow and said, "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years."
The cow said, "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"
And God agreed it was good.
On the fourth day, God created humans and said, "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years."
But the human said, "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back,
the ten the monkey gave back,
and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"
"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."
So that is why for our first twenty years, we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves.
For the next forty years, we slave in the sun to support our family.
For the next ten years, we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren.
And for the last ten years, we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.
Life has now been explained to you.
If you are looking for me I will be on the front porch...

Thank You Ray!!
I heard that one a long time ago, but naturally I forgot it, and needed your refresher!!

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
This is so close to home for me. I turn 50 this year. Dad was in Vietnam, had the Agent Orange thing, smoked and drank and still does too. My Dad looked 35ish a VERY long time but now is fully gray and looks like you say, old. I think he might be finally accepting it but he was really one ornery SOB a while because he couldn't do what he used to. Happy Birthday John and agree that age is a state of mind and that makes me 23 or 24 LOL.

Thank You Sam!!!
And Give your Dad a "Welcome Home" from Me too!!

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
only sixty but it getting worse all the time!

On a side note now I see why you like that Ninja so much. That thing is awesome! Still trying to find a cart for it. It needs something fairly wide.

I knew you'd love that Ninja!!! :emoji_laughing:
I don't give out "Bum Steers".

Bear

bunch of youngsters on here lets get serious about getting old
how many of you remember buying gasoline for 10 cents a gallon?

bunch of youngsters on here lets get serious about getting old
how many of you remember buying gasoline for 10 cents a gallon?

Yup---That was before my day----It was about 28 cents a gallon, when I was 15, and pumping gas, part-time, after school---"ESSO" 1965.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
Yup---That was before my day----It was about 28 cents a gallon, when I was 15, and pumping gas, part-time, after school---"ESSO" 1965.

I used to fill up my mini bike at the Esso station for five cents. That 3.5 hp Clinton was pretty thirsty. “Put a Tiger in your Tank!”

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky