Well, I've been absent a while. Between my aging, health issues, and it being so dang hot in the South this summer, I've not really done much smoking or even snack stick making. I need to get back into it.
I'm thinking about an experiment with my new Humphrey's insulated reverse flow vertical smoker. As some of you know, years back I converted a MES entry level electric to a souped up insulated snack stick smoker. It worked great. So my logic is why can't this much bigger and already insulated cabinet smoker be used the same way?
I think I'm going to take an electric heating element and snake the cord through the 2" air inlet for the firebox. I will just sit the 120v element on the fire box floor. First I want to see if the multi-stage PID controller I used for the old MES Snack Stick smoker paired with a 120v element can heat the bigger cabinet through convection since it's a reverse flow (up then down and then out at the bottom of the smoke chamber). If it will, it should hold stick making temps like a dream as it has 2" of ceramic type insulation. Then the only missing part of the smoking equation is a pellet tube or Amazn pellet maze to generate smoke. That 2" air inlet should give good air flow to keep it all going.
I want to try a dry run with the heating element this week, as Kroger has Brisket (untrimmed Choice) for $3.99 a pound starting Sept 30th through Oct 8th in my area. That's much less than buying a 10 lb chub at Sam's or Costco right now and I have the grinder and other equipment anyway.
I'll post how the dry run works out afterwards. Yeah a I need to get back into using that expensive cabinet and I need some sticks (totally out).
For those not on the forum back in 2017 when I made the MES-SS model, here is the build thread:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...alog-to-full-time-snack-stick-machine.261147/
I'm thinking about an experiment with my new Humphrey's insulated reverse flow vertical smoker. As some of you know, years back I converted a MES entry level electric to a souped up insulated snack stick smoker. It worked great. So my logic is why can't this much bigger and already insulated cabinet smoker be used the same way?
I think I'm going to take an electric heating element and snake the cord through the 2" air inlet for the firebox. I will just sit the 120v element on the fire box floor. First I want to see if the multi-stage PID controller I used for the old MES Snack Stick smoker paired with a 120v element can heat the bigger cabinet through convection since it's a reverse flow (up then down and then out at the bottom of the smoke chamber). If it will, it should hold stick making temps like a dream as it has 2" of ceramic type insulation. Then the only missing part of the smoking equation is a pellet tube or Amazn pellet maze to generate smoke. That 2" air inlet should give good air flow to keep it all going.
I want to try a dry run with the heating element this week, as Kroger has Brisket (untrimmed Choice) for $3.99 a pound starting Sept 30th through Oct 8th in my area. That's much less than buying a 10 lb chub at Sam's or Costco right now and I have the grinder and other equipment anyway.
I'll post how the dry run works out afterwards. Yeah a I need to get back into using that expensive cabinet and I need some sticks (totally out).
For those not on the forum back in 2017 when I made the MES-SS model, here is the build thread:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...alog-to-full-time-snack-stick-machine.261147/