How Do You Know When You’re Getting Old?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I knew I was old when I looked at a pic of my wife at a football game and got a minute truly wondered who the father old guy with her was before realizing it’s me lol

Yup---That was before my day----It was about 28 cents a gallon, when I was 15, and pumping gas, part-time, after school---"ESSO" 1965.

Bear

Yep, I started pumping gas at a Texico in 1964. That money, plus a loan from my folks, was how I was able to buy my first Harley the fall of 1965. My folks never forgave themselves for giving me that loan. LOL.
Gary

Happy belated birthday John. I only started getting old after my son was born - he is now 31.....not sure how those years blew by.

Agree with a lot of what you said here Bear. Heck I lived my 20's like I wasnt gonna see 30. Now that I've 54 Its catching up with me. Got kids from 14-34 years of age. 3 beautiful grand daughters. And what I used to consider old is a young man now!
Happy late birthday!
Jim

Agree with a lot of what you said here Bear. Heck I lived my 20's like I wasnt gonna see 30. Now that I've 54 Its catching up with me. Got kids from 14-34 years of age. 3 beautiful grand daughters. And what I used to consider old is a young man now!
Happy late birthday!
Jim

Thanks Jim!
I got a warning when I was about 40. I was sitting at a coffee shop, talking to an old retired Taxi Driver. He was sitting there with an Oxygen Tank.
He said, "John, I'll tell you, if I'd have known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!"
So there you have it !

Bear

Reactions: 912smoker
Congrats John and Bear Jr! Great milestones. When I turned 50, my older Brother told me, "Now you're 50, you'll have some days when you are in a lot of body pain and you won't know why. You'll also have some days when you feel great, and you also won't know why." He was right, but now at 60, the body pain days far outnumber the feel great days. Mentally I'm still an immature adult, still find childish humor in almost everything. I do finally understand why my Father was always angry all of the time when I was a kid. For no reason other than the lack of patience for stupidity, lol. Neither of my Parents lived to see mine or my Brothers' 50th, but I hope to see my Son's 50th, he's only 23 so I'll try my best. The Mrs. and I have been together since we were 14, so we still act like teenagers, especially during arguments.
Like Sinatra sang, "Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you, if you're Young at Heart." He also said, "May you live to be over 100 and the last voice you hear is mine," lol. Stay young at heart like everyone else here.

After reading thru this thread, I’m a young one…I turn 46 in March. But, I already think about this stuff..getting old. I started a family late it life, my boy is 8 and my daughter is 12 (going on 21) and I want to be there for them as long as I can.

Now you're 50, you'll have some days when you are in a lot of body pain and you won't know why
Yep, the aches and pains are more common and as I've gotten into my 60's, they seem to hurt worse and longer. Mine is primarily neck and shoulders now...

Happy late birthday!
Jim

I used to Think I'd never see 21.
However I was in Vietnam at that time. :emoji_astonished:
Sometimes, the next day was "iffy".

Bear

Reactions: JLeonard
Bear, Happy Belated Birthday. God Bless you for your service. Age Graysfully, like a fine wine. I'm a young pup at 64, my best days are ahead of me. Spending time with my lovely wife, we've been togther for 44 years!

RG

Thanks for All the Great Replies, Guys!!
You Never Let Me Down!!

Bear

When I was a kid, the speed limit was lowered to 55 MPH because of an oil crisis. At the time, I thought it would be grand if I lasted that long. Fifty-five years-old would be fine for me, thank you very much.

I'm exceeding the speed limit now. I'm holding up pretty well but for the wear and tear around the edges.

You'll be alright. You're just exceeding the speed limit. Happy birthday.

Murph

When I was a kid, the speed limit was lowered to 55 MPH because of an oil crisis. At the time, I thought it would be grand if I lasted that long. Fifty-five years-old would be fine for me, thank you very much.

I'm exceeding the speed limit now. I'm holding up pretty well but for the wear and tear around the edges.

You'll be alright. You're just exceeding the speed limit. Happy birthday.

Murph

I definitely won't be moving to Switzerland:
  • Switzerland doesn’t have fixed fines for speeding. Instead, fines are calculated based on the vehicle’s speed and the driver’s income. When a wealthy 37-year-old man was pulled over for going 186 mph on a highway with a speed limit of 75 mph, he had to pay a fine that equated to just over $1,000,000, the most expensive ticket ever. Switzerland is known for their neutrality, but you clearly don’t want to mess with them when it comes to speeding.
Bear

• Haha
Reactions: MJB05615
Bear, Happy Belated Birthday. God Bless you for your service. Age Graysfully, like a fine wine. I'm a young pup at 64, my best days are ahead of me. Spending time with my lovely wife, we've been togther for 44 years!

RG

Thank You RG !!!
Appreciate That !!
At 44 years, you're almost there!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky