How cold till it kills rye grass ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah, we have a cold blast on the way too. The high for Friday is supposed to be 7°.
Got a weather alert that our windchill was going to be -20. One of our son's lives in Reynolds station KY and their windchill is supposed to hit -25 Friday

Sounds like we'll have some good weather for cold smoking, so maybe I need to get busy getting something ready to go. I need some more jalapeno cheddar sausages and I really prefer them cold smoked with a sous vide finish.

You know it's getting cold out when the snow you're walking on takes on a different tone of crunch!

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
We're above freezing here for the first time since Wednesday. My rye is beginning to come around, its changing color from a dark to lighter green.

And my cilantro survived night time lows down to 1 degree. I soaked it with water, covered with leaves, and soaked the leaves. Pulled them back this morning and its doing fine. And I'm really glad about that, fresh cilantro has sooo much more flavor than store bought. Its almost as large a diff as home grown tomato to store bought.

20221225_083857.jpg
20221225_122052.jpg

That very well may be what I do. I will be tilling in late February. Hopefully, it does not grow much between then and now. Right now, its about 10 to 12" high. There's a yard stick by the fence pole.

View attachment 651327

Chopped down the rye grass today. Started with a weed eater but that was going slow, so I got the lawn mower out. Put it on its highest setting and it worked fine. Went back over two more times with the mower at a lower setting each time.

I'm gonna till it Monday. It looks like the tiller should go right through these clumps.

20230204_113301.jpg

Garden tilled, ready to start 2023 gardening season.

The rye grass clumps were tougher to till than I expected. My old front tyne tiller bucked and heaved trying to move through them, wore out my shoulder muscles. It was a job. But after one pass through, it tilled mostly like normal.

I think I'll rake out the clumps, run over them with the mower bag attached, and put them back on the garden.

20230206_113602.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky