How do I get the temp down for cold smoking on a Zgill 1000

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see where you are coming from, but if you were to heat an intact muscle to the point where surface bacteria were killed, put in the freezer for later use, what's left to grow exponentially during phase 2 of the cook?
Once it is cooked over 140° isn't t is like cooking and eating half for dinner and saving the rest for leftovers? I'm.just trying to figure this all out.
You two are kinda talking about two different things.
DougE DougE is saying to heat the surface of the meat beyond 140*. This will kill surface bacteria, but will be difficult to get extra smoke flavor.

N Nefarious , you are talking about cooking the steak to IT of 140* not just the surface. Big difference.

If I'm doing pork butt, or brisket, I don't even stick a probe in the meat until several hours in.

I don't use probes too much anymore but still do some. As long as you get the internal to 140 within 4hr or so I don't worry too much about inserting early. As long as nothing crazy happens the surface bacteria pushed into the meat is null and void.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge I guess I am confused, a normal state these days.

If I buy a pork steak from the grocery store I have 2 or 3 days before I have to cook it as long as it is in the refrigerator until I cook it and once I start to cook it I have 4 hours to get the outside surface to 140* and then the meat is considered safe by chef jimmyj from the post earlier on in the thread.

And if I instead of cook the steak I freeze it. I then have several months before I have to start to cook the steak steak and once I start to cook the steak I have the same 4 hours from when it is thawed to get the steak surface to be 140* and be safe again.

Freezing, if there is nothing wrong with this logic must restart the clock?

So why can't the OP do the following? First cook the steak to surface temperature of 140* in a 4 hour time period, at which point the meat is safe. Then freeze it and when it thaws, or even cook it from the frozen state as SmokinAl has done in the past?

When the surface of the steak is 140* the inside of the steak can be at a much lower temperature and still be served rare or medium rare at the camp site?

Reactions: shea1973
While this is possible with colder ambient temperature, I’m thinking you should use the pellet tube on the grill up camping and warm smoke the steaks for an hour or two then heat up the grill and cook them. This way way get a “cold smoke” and stay within the 40-140* safety rule. What kind of camp grill do you have?
Just a regular small camp grill, nothing special. My idea was to cold smoke the steaks and then freeze them until we go camping next month. But if that isn't a good idea then I will not do that.

I think the issue with this is letting it sit in the danger zone while cold smoking then cooling and letting it sit I fridge, then transporting it to camp site then grilling probably isn't the best decision
The way it sounds from everyone one that doing what I was thinking of cold smoking them and then transporting to the camp site is not a good thing. So to be on the safe side I will not do this.

I been looking into a small portable smoker. But won't be able to get that this year.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge I guess I am confused, a normal state these days.

If I buy a pork steak from the grocery store I have 2 or 3 days before I have to cook it as long as it is in the refrigerator until I cook it and once I start to cook it I have 4 hours to get the outside surface to 140* and then the meat is considered safe by chef jimmyj from the post earlier on in the thread.

And if I instead of cook the steak I freeze it. I then have several months before I have to start to cook the steak steak and once I start to cook the steak I have the same 4 hours from when it is thawed to get the steak surface to be 140* and be safe again.

Freezing, if there is nothing wrong with this logic must restart the clock?

So why can't the OP do the following? First cook the steak to surface temperature of 140* in a 4 hour time period, at which point the meat is safe. Then freeze it and when it thaws, or even cook it from the frozen state as SmokinAl has done in the past?

When the surface of the steak is 140* the inside of the steak can be at a much lower temperature and still be served rare or medium rare at the camp site?
I would generally agree with this. But then the meat may have that “leftover “ taste once it is recooked at camp. I’m only guessing. At any rate the steak would be safe cooked this way.

Reactions: shea1973
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky