Hot dogs on a hot day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Out of hot dogs so I Did another round. I also did some Italian sausage (not pictured yet) using Scott's recipe AKA alelover and some country sausage using two different recipe's. I used ryteks breakfast sausage recipe and was not impressed. They will be giveaways.....

It was hard keeping the temp down due to the 105 degree heat wave. With out the burner running I was at 120 degrees. These were smoked at 180. Didn't get any fat render but the were on the verge looking at the fat on the casings.... This time I used the 24-26mm casings. Much easier to stuff than the 22-24mm. I didn't like the larger size at first. they looked too big a round to be a hot dog but after they were smoked they firmed up and were a perfect size....

dc79e317_HPIM2665.jpg

e1df11f4_HPIM2666.jpg

7774e8bc_HPIM2669.jpg

31792f47_HPIM2671.jpg

The long ones on the left is some of my country sausage

6c1996d6_HPIM2667.jpg

Thanks for looking

Joe

Reactions: woodcutter
Looks good! A smoker full of sausage, what a beautiful sight. You sure ran through them last dogs quick. :sausage: I have only tried a few of Kutas' recipes myself, but so far not overly impressed.

I envy the spectacular results you get...Totally amazing. It sucks that Sausage Equipment is low on my Account's
wife.gif
 list of priorities...JJ

Nice lookin' dogs Joe.... what is the trap door in the front of the firebox ??? Isn't the smoker gas fired ??  Dave

Lookin good Joe, I really need to make some more myself. but been really short on time and energy lately.

Looks good! A smoker full of sausage, what a beautiful sight. You sure ran through them last dogs quick.
sausage.gif
I have only tried a few of Kutas' recipes myself, but so far not overly impressed.
My son was the culprit.. ....
I envy the spectacular results you get...Totally amazing. It sucks that Sausage Equipment is low on my Account's
wife.gif
 list of priorities...JJ
Thanks Jimmy after 25 yrs of making sausage I'm finally getting the hang of it
Nice lookin' dogs Joe.... what is the trap door in the front of the firebox ??? Isn't the smoker gas fired ??  Dave
Thanks Dave. The trap door gives me access to the pipe burner while smoking and it also helps with air flow to keep the burner lit at really low settings.. I dried the casings and cold smoked for a couple of hrs with 1 amnps and 2 amns's with apple
Lookin good Joe, I really need to make some more myself. but been really short on time and energy lately.
Thanks Dan... your the one who got me started on these...........
icon14.gif

lookin good never done hot dogs before 
Thanks DS...... They get easier the more you make them
Looks Nice Joe. Stay Cool
Thanks Bri
They look great!!!
~Martin
Thanks M
Great color Joe. Nice job.
icon14.gif
Thanks Sam

Hot diggity dogs, them sure look nice.

Mmmmmm......... slap them on some homemade poppy seed rolls and go to town.

Like others have mentioned I too have not embarked on the hotdog making expedition.

I understand the meat has to be emulsified ???

Is there a thread with basic instructions ?

And what kind of casings are commonly used ?

Thanks for the QView !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did a double grind and used a small food processor to emulsify the meat. Did it in small amounts not to burn up the food processor.

Joe

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky