Texas Hot Links second attempt...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
This was my second attempt at making Texas Hot Links. I got a recipe from tallbm tallbm and had a bit of a tester patty before going all in. The flavors seemed good and my wife liked them. Seemed like it was almost there, but just shy.

I was fortunate enough to have received an early Christmas present the other day, "1001 Greatest Sausage Recipes". As I was thumbing through it, I found Marianski's version. Other than a some minor differences they are pretty close. I tweaked the recipe to include a little more salt, garlic and added mustard seed in addition to the ground mustard.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the result. There is a lingering flavor note at the end that I can't quite put my finger on. Its one that I'd like to tone down a bit. Overall, this is a recipe I'll make again. Next time, more heat!

On a related note, I took all the suggestions that everyone gave me and had almost ZERO issues with the natural casings. These are 29-32mm Hog casings. What I have done:
  • Removed from original packaging. Soaked in warm water before fighting my way through a tangled mess of casings.
  • Since I couldn't get them to work the first go round, I now have them stored in a container with water and 1/4 cup of non-iodized salt. Placed them in the fridge.
  • Take them out when needed, soak a length or two in warm water for about an hour.
  • Hold both ends of the casing while filling it with water to stretch them out. This allowed me to find one area where the connective tissue was constricting the case. I snipped the tissue and continued flushing.
  • Straight onto a wet horn with a small nub of sausage batter poking out.
Nice pebble like grind, studded with fat.

20231130_143052.jpg

Mixed with spices and ready to go into the fridge for the night. The smaller bowl is the Texas Hot Link mix. The larger bowl is pepperoni.

20231130_162826.jpg

Smoked and just out of the ice bath. Sitting to bloom.

20231201_163744.jpg

Toasted bun, grilled hot link, mustard and a pile o' onions. I may have overshot the size of the dog to bun on this one by just a smidgen!

20231201_182421.jpg

Cut a piece of the end off for my wife to try. Also took a picture of the cross section. I love the studded fat and coarse ground spices mixed in.

20231201_182633.jpg

I found Marianski's version.
I make the " Texas hot link " from his website . It's under the fresh sausage , and is not cured or smoked . I've done it both ways , but like it fresh grilled the best . I sub in Carolina Reaper powder . I had to put creamy coleslaw on the last batch to tame the heat .
It's the best hotlink formula in my opinion .

You got it going in the right direction . Really good lookin' sausage . Next time you make it leave some fresh and throw them on the grill .

Reactions: nlife
This was my second attempt at making Texas Hot Links. I got a recipe from tallbm tallbm and had a bit of a tester patty before going all in. The flavors seemed good and my wife liked them. Seemed like it was almost there, but just shy.

I was fortunate enough to have received an early Christmas present the other day, "1001 Greatest Sausage Recipes". As I was thumbing through it, I found Marianski's version. Other than a some minor differences they are pretty close. I tweaked the recipe to include a little more salt, garlic and added mustard seed in addition to the ground mustard.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the result. There is a lingering flavor note at the end that I can't quite put my finger on. Its one that I'd like to tone down a bit. Overall, this is a recipe I'll make again. Next time, more heat!

On a related note, I took all the suggestions that everyone gave me and had almost ZERO issues with the natural casings. These are 29-32mm Hog casings. What I have done:
  • Removed from original packaging. Soaked in warm water before fighting my way through a tangled mess of casings.
  • Since I couldn't get them to work the first go round, I now have them stored in a container with water and 1/4 cup of non-iodized salt. Placed them in the fridge.
  • Take them out when needed, soak a length or two in warm water for about an hour.
  • Hold both ends of the casing while filling it with water to stretch them out. This allowed me to find one area where the connective tissue was constricting the case. I snipped the tissue and continued flushing.
  • Straight onto a wet horn with a small nub of sausage batter poking out.
Nice pebble like grind, studded with fat.

View attachment 682396

Mixed with spices and ready to go into the fridge for the night. The smaller bowl is the Texas Hot Link mix. The larger bowl is pepperoni.

View attachment 682397

Smoked and just out of the ice bath. Sitting to bloom.

View attachment 682398

Toasted bun, grilled hot link, mustard and a pile o' onions. I may have overshot the size of the dog to bun on this one by just a smidgen!

View attachment 682399

Cut a piece of the end off for my wife to try. Also took a picture of the cross section. I love the studded fat and coarse ground spices mixed in.

View attachment 682400
Congrats on finding your recipe and the flavors you are looking for!
It feels so good to finally nail down a sausage recipe and know you never have to look again hahahaha.

Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with :D

Reactions: indaswamp and nlife
I make the " Texas hot link " from his website . It's under the fresh sausage , and is not cured or smoked . I've done it both ways , but like it fresh grilled the best . I sub in Carolina Reaper powder .

I had seen that they were a fresh sausage and not smoked with Marianski. I contemplated leaving some, but didn't. Theirs are also all pork. I may just go with theirs next time and see how it works.

I know i couldn't handle Carolina Reapers in these. I've grown them in the past and I had some that crossed with the Jolokia's that I was growing. The next year I had Jolokia's with little stinger tails and more heat. I'm still working my way through the 1g Ziplock bag of those crossed dried Jolokia's that I grew in 2016. We usually cut the them with Cayenne for wing nights. Great heat and flavor.

Given that winter is rapidly closing my smoking door, I'm looking for fresh sausages to make. I'd really like to find a good Brat. There's quite a few in the Marianski book, but I'm not sure where to start.

I had seen that they were a fresh sausage and not smoked with Marianski. I contemplated leaving some, but didn't. Theirs are also all pork. I may just go with theirs next time and see how it works.
You can mix a batch up with the cure , so you can smoke some . Just leave a few un-smoked and throw them on the grill .
You can adapt any of it to smoke it or leave fresh .

I 've done several of the Marianski recipes . Smoked and fresh . They're all good .
The Italian bratwurst is a good one . Basic . White pepper and fennel .

I'd really like to find a good Brat. There's quite a few in the Marianski book, but I'm not sure where to start.

This may sound weird because it's not a recipe but... I highly recommend Lem's Backwoods Fresh Brat seasoning. Makes the best Brats I've had anywhere in the world, and I tried a ton.

The key is to not follow their measurements by volume but instead to use 27.3gm per pound (or round to the nearest gram).

At the same time you I'd also recommend picking up a 5 pound pack of their Cured Franks seasoning and don't smoke em (even though they are cured) just grill them. Best Franks I have ever eaten and I tried about 3-4 recipes to see if anything beat this and nothing came close.
The key measurement for these is 14gm seasoning per pound

While you are on their site feel free to pick up casings as well (natural, cellulose, fibrous, etc.) so the order is worth the shipping and allows you to try the smaller 5 pound amounts of these seasonings out.

I know this isn't a fresh sausage recipe you were asking for BUT if experimenting you can do these and throw on the grill, thats how I do do them. Well I do them, cut them, vac seal them, and then anytime I want I defrost and throw on the grill :D

I do at 80/20 meat to fat ratio and my brats are 80% venison 20% pork fat. My pork franks are 80/20 all pork.

I would love to hear what you think about this stuff vs any recipes you try for the same sausages :D

Reactions: nlife
Very nice. Happy you got the casings issues worked out.

Without seeing the whole recipe I'll make a stab at it.
I don't use ground mustard in sausage. If I want mustard the adding seed is my preference. Ground mustard leaves a smell and taste that my wife doesn't like

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky