Home made Kraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
I was asked to post this when I did it.
Started with 2 small heads of Cabbage
100_0348.JPG
After slicing I weighed it 4 pounds
100_0350.JPG
using 5 to 6 grams of sea salt per pound
100_0349.JPG
Mixing salt and Cabbage in layers while
pounding it down.(This is known as bruising)
Home made stomp per
100_0353.JPG
The idea of doing that is to start releasing
water,small puddle as soon as finished
100_0355.JPG
I put it in a jar,then let it sit a few hours
100_0357.JPG
I didn't want that much space so a half gal
jar would be enough.Here is the liquid it
extruded in 3 hours
100_0358.JPG
I topped the jar off with the Cabbage and
you can see the liquid
100_0360.JPG
Glass weight on top leaving some head space
100_0361.JPG
Now it is time to wait I think it will be 6 weeks
Richie

looks like it's going to be some good stuff, I remember when I was a kid helping my grandfather make kraut using a big crock with a wooden top that fit inside the crock with a big rock on top of that, i'm assuming it was to get the liquid out of the cabbage but it was a long time ago so I could be remembering wrong.

looks like it's going to be some good stuff, I remember when I was a kid helping my grandfather make kraut using a big crock with a wooden top that fit inside the crock with a big rock on top of that, i'm assuming it was to get the liquid out of the cabbage but it was a long time ago so I could be remembering wrong.

Jim You are most likely correct,Cabbage has a lot of water in it.The salt draws it out creating its' own brine.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

FINALLY a recipe by WEIGHT! Definitely will try. Need to grab a plastic lid but have a few airlocks from homebrewing. Richie, yours end up crunchier than store bought?

FINALLY a recipe by WEIGHT! Definitely will try. Need to grab a plastic lid but have a few airlocks from homebrewing. Richie, yours end up crunchier than store bought?

Sam the longer it ferments the softer it gets,so that is hard to say.I don't remember when I did the 3 week brine how it was.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Reactions: zwiller
Something I always wanted to do Richie. Waiting see your finish. Why the caraway seed? I'm a straight up no rinse type guy the stronger the better.

Warren

Something I always wanted to do Richie. Waiting see your finish. Why the caraway seed? I'm a straight up no rinse type guy the stronger the better.

Warren

Warren it was in the original recipe I was given.Probably not needed but a lot of people like it.No need to wait this will be good as it gets I promise
Richie

Richie , thanks for putting this up . Something I really want to do . So just leave it at room temp ? Also , I guess I need to get the air lock lid ?
Love caraway in kraut . If it's not in there I add some . Nice touch .

Looks good Richie! LIKE. I never thought of adding caraway seeds, even though I like them on cooked cabbage. I have been making kraut for several years with my relatives, maybe I'll add some to my crock this year.

You don't necessarily need an airlock. There's nothing in the air that isn't already on the cabbage. You can stretch some cling wrap over the top and poke a pinhole in it. You need to keep at room temperature until it has reached the level of fermentation that you want. Then into the fridge.

Reactions: chopsaw
It really depends on the temp. I've had kraut finish in less than a week in warmer weather - but never more than 3 weeks.

I agree if the room is 70 degrees or more,my room is holding steady 62 degrees and it will get cooler.That will slow it down so I am posting how I am doing it.You can make a post any time with your room temp,salt ,brine added it will all help anyone that has interest.

Last edited:
Good to know . I keep my house 65 . So you're saying it takes longer at lower temps . Thanks, trying this for sure . Might have more questions

So you're saying it takes longer at lower temps .
Yes. It also generates heat during fermentation. Think of it like the cooler it is, the slower it spoils. Stuff in the fridge still spoils, just not as fast as on the counter.

There is not a specific ideal temperature, but my experience is that a relatively stable temperature is best.

Well done Richie, that kraut looks like it's gonna be good in 6 weeks.

Point for sure
Chris

Richie , thanks for putting this up . Something I really want to do . So just leave it at room temp ? Also , I guess I need to get the air lock lid ?
Love caraway in kraut . If it's not in there I add some . Nice touch .
Rich an air lock is not needed,but it does help an it keeps the air in the jar, that helps keeping it from getting moldy.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky